Re: gpg-agent problem, part 2

nrjank
On Fri, Mar 20, 2020, 6:13 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank You, Nicholas / Börje 200320

  1. I used the zip version for installation
  2. After unpacking, I ran post-install.bat. The message "GnuPG agent is unusable" appeared repeatedly
  3. Running Octave and pkg functions worked fine, though (as far as I have tested - not so much)

BR be

(Please always cc the mailing list, and the convention of the octave lists is to bottom post.)

I believe I see the same error when running post-install.bat and I don't think it matters. As you said, everything seems to be working okay.

Can someone who knows what the post-install.bat script Ks doing comment on the initial gnupg agent message and how much it does or doesn't affect things?

RE: Re: gpg-agent problem, part 2

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 07:43:49 -0400
> From: Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: Help GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: gpg-agent problem, part 2
>
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020, 6:13 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thank You, Nicholas / Börje 200320
> >
> >    1. I used the zip version for installation
> >    2. After unpacking, I ran post-install.bat. The message "GnuPG agent
> >    is unusable" appeared repeatedly
> >    3. Running Octave and pkg functions worked fine, though (as far as I
> >    have tested - not so much)
> >
> > BR be
> >
> (Please always cc the mailing list, and the convention of the octave lists
> is to bottom post.)
>
> I believe I see the same error when running post-install.bat and I don't
> think it matters. As you said, everything seems to be working okay.
>
> Can someone who knows what the post-install.bat script Ks doing comment on
> the initial gnupg agent message and how much it does or doesn't affect
> things?

It sets up bash which in msys also installs some pgp keys etc

It may work fine, but it also may see that the setup of the msys environment wasn’t completed and try to do it again if anything uses bash later on

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:29 PM JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Message: 4
> > Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 07:43:49 -0400
> > From: Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Cc: Help GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: gpg-agent problem, part 2
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2020, 6:13 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thank You, Nicholas / Börje 200320
> > >
> > >    1. I used the zip version for installation
> > >    2. After unpacking, I ran post-install.bat. The message "GnuPG agent
> > >    is unusable" appeared repeatedly
> > >    3. Running Octave and pkg functions worked fine, though (as far as I
> > >    have tested - not so much)
> > >
> > > BR be
> > >
> > (Please always cc the mailing list, and the convention of the octave lists
> > is to bottom post.)
> >
> > I believe I see the same error when running post-install.bat and I don't
> > think it matters. As you said, everything seems to be working okay.
> >
> > Can someone who knows what the post-install.bat script Ks doing comment on
> > the initial gnupg agent message and how much it does or doesn't affect
> > things?
>

> It sets up bash which in msys also installs some pgp keys etc
>
> It may work fine, but it also may see that the setup of the msys environment wasn’t completed and try to do it again if anything uses bash later on

I've never had that -not- fail when running post install on my windows
systems, and have never noticed a negative result.  What is it
expecting to find that isn't working? Is there something I can test to
see if there is indeed missing functionality? Perhaps its a
suppressible warning to not alarm users?

RE: Re: gpg-agent problem, part 2

John Donoghue-3

In the post install its calling:

%MSYSDIR%\bin\bash.exe --login -c ech

So its doing whatever the msys stuff is set in their scripts

I've never had it fail either

Perhaps running post install in a console window may display more ?

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:48 PM JohnD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I'll do a fresh install on my personal machine later to see what it
does.  (still can't do 5.2.0_1 on my managed machine due to McAfee
dragging its feet on whitelisting)