Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end

Wolfgang Lindner-4
Sergei:
|I remind again and again - people use Octave to solve real problems.

so it is.
so let's return to the original question.

hello Stephen,

I recommended to use UPM-Octave Release 6 for Windows.
Some hints:

. you can change the language to english
  just removing the languages directory under the bin directory.
  That should enjoy your students.

. Currently you have to download packages for octave homepage
  and then install it inside UPM using pkg install/load commands
  just like in Octave.

It works along the command lines in the command window:

> s = input("package name: ","s");
> tar([s '.tar'],s);
> gzip([s '.tar']);
> pkg install s.tar.gz
> pkg list

You find complete instuctions and examples e.g. in the
nice online book from Jesper Schmidt Hansen.

Israel Herraiz plans to automate this process using
menus in the next release Octave-UPM-R7-forWindows.

best
Wolfgang

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <[hidden email]>
An: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
Datum: Donnerstag, 20. Dezember 2012 22:57
Betreff: Re: Woctave-another gui front end


|On 12/20/2012 01:00 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
|> On 12/20/2012 07:38 AM, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
|>> hi all,
|>>
|>> let me remember that it is possible to use
|>> the following new native Windows-GUI for Octave:
|>>
|>> http://mat.caminos.upm.es/octave/
|>>
|>> Only download the following 2 files:
|>>
|>> http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2796/Octave-UPM-R6-setup.exe
|>> http://forja.rediris.es/frs/download.php/2664/vcredist_x86.exe
|>>
|>> Then you will have a nice stable working GUI under Windows.
|>> Give it a try.
|>
|> I just tried it out.  In my opinion it is a very nice piece of software.
|>  I will definitely be recommending it to my students in the upcoming
|> semester.
|
|
|Is there a simple way to get the octave-forge packages included in this
|as well?  Or if not, do you plan to include it in the future?
|
|It is just that next fall I plan to teach a course which involves
|solving ODE's, and I would prefer to use ode45 than lsode so that Matlab
|users and Octave users get the same experience.  I won't defend against
|lsode probably having a superior algorithm than ode45.  But I will only
|be solving really simple equations anyway.
|
|Maybe octave-forge is included in the menus, but I don't know Spanish.
|It is still very easy to use even if one doesn't know Spanish, but I
|could be missing some of its finer points.
|
|Thanks, Stephen
|_______________________________________________
|Help-octave mailing list
|[hidden email]
|https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
On 12/21/2012 05:48 AM, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:

> I recommended to use UPM-Octave Release 6 for Windows.
> Some hints:
>
> . you can change the language to english
>   just removing the languages directory under the bin directory.
>   That should enjoy your students.

That worked great.  Thank you.

>
> . Currently you have to download packages for octave homepage
>   and then install it inside UPM using pkg install/load commands
>   just like in Octave.
>

I tried this with odepkg.  Unfortunately it didn't work, because octave
has to build some of the source code.  So what I did instead was to
simply download ode45.m from a web site, and it works great.  It was
able to solve the lorenz attractor, and basically this about all I will
need.

But really the packages need to be prebuilt before they can be
installed.  (ode45 is itself a matlab file, but odepkg also includes
some rather high powered solvers that need to be compiled using fortran.)

> It works along the command lines in the command window:
>
>> s = input("package name: ","s");
>> tar([s '.tar'],s);
>> gzip([s '.tar']);
>> pkg install s.tar.gz
>> pkg list
>
> You find complete instuctions and examples e.g. in the
> nice online book from Jesper Schmidt Hansen.
>
> Israel Herraiz plans to automate this process using
> menus in the next release Octave-UPM-R7-forWindows.
>
> best
> Wolfgang


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gui front end for Octave for Windows - was: Woctave-another gui front end

Montgomery-Smith, Stephen
On 12/21/2012 03:06 PM, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:

> On 12/21/2012 05:48 AM, Wolfgang Lindner wrote:
>
>> I recommended to use UPM-Octave Release 6 for Windows.
>> Some hints:
>>
>> . you can change the language to english
>>   just removing the languages directory under the bin directory.
>>   That should enjoy your students.
>
> That worked great.  Thank you.
>
>>
>> . Currently you have to download packages for octave homepage
>>   and then install it inside UPM using pkg install/load commands
>>   just like in Octave.
>>
>
> I tried this with odepkg.  Unfortunately it didn't work, because octave
> has to build some of the source code.  So what I did instead was to
> simply download ode45.m from a web site, and it works great.  It was
> able to solve the lorenz attractor, and basically this about all I will
> need.

But the ode45 I downloaded didn't work as well as the ode45 in odepkg.
So I did this...

>
> But really the packages need to be prebuilt before they can be
> installed.  (ode45 is itself a matlab file, but odepkg also includes
> some rather high powered solvers that need to be compiled using fortran.)
>

... very easy work around.  I downloaded odepkg-0.8.2.tar.gz from the
octave forge web site onto my unix computer.  Then I untarred it,
deleted the directory src, and then retarred it under the name
odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz.  I copied this onto my windows computer, and
from UPM-Octave I simply typed
pkg install odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz

I'll put odepkg-0.8.2-mod.tar.gz on the class web site, and have my
students using UPM-Octave download and install it.  (If I need to add
any commentary so that I don't violate GPL, I'll add that to.)

So regarding GUI octaves that I need to teach my classes, I am
completely satisfied.

Thank you very much,
Stephen


_______________________________________________
Help-octave mailing list
[hidden email]
https://mailman.cae.wisc.edu/listinfo/help-octave