Re: overwriting an existing file is much slower than creating a new one

Re: overwriting an existing file is much slower than creating a new one

siko1056
On 6/6/20 10:21 AM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

> I just noticed that saving/overwriting into existing file is much slower
> that creating a new one:
>
> octave:1> xxx = repmat (ones(2000), [1,1,4,10]);
> octave:2> tic; save xxx1.oct xxx -binary; toc
> Elapsed time is 0.835598 seconds.
> octave:3> tic; save xxx1.oct xxx -binary; toc
> Elapsed time is 3.52093 seconds.
> octave:4> tic; save xxx1.oct xxx -binary; toc
> Elapsed time is 3.47683 seconds.
>
> Does it have to be?
>
> Dmitri.
> --

On my laptop system "openSUSE 15.1, XFS /home partition on SSD drive" I
do not see that drastic differences between Octave 5.2.0, 6x, and 7x as
you observed.  They are all about this:

Elapsed time is 1.06028 seconds.
Elapsed time is 1.1914 seconds.
Elapsed time is 1.18887 seconds.