Re: silent rules

Rik-4
On 02/21/2015 05:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: silent rules and warnings
From:
"John W. Eaton" [hidden email]
Date:
02/20/2015 10:53 PM
To:
Mike Miller [hidden email]
CC:
Octave Maintainers List [hidden email]
7bit
Message:
4

On 02/20/2015 07:27 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 17:32:33 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:

Is there any objection to enabling silent rules by default?

Yes please! :) I always build with V=0 for that same reason (and
looking forward to trying the build with your latest changes).

I doubt there's anything we could do about the warnings from
flex-generated code. However, to silence those warnings specifically
we could drop a #pragma at the top of the generated file to disable
the old-style-cast or unused-parameter or whichever warnings trigger
for that one file.

OK, I went ahead and enabled silent rules by default.  After thinking about it a bit, I don't see anything negative about doing it and it's easy to undo if it somehow turns out to cause trouble.

jwe

jwe,

As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of output from TeX during the production of the documentation.

--Rik

Re: silent rules

On 02/21/2015 09:13 AM, Rik wrote:

> As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet
> the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of
> output from TeX during the production of the documentation.

With the changes I made yesterday, he doc/interpreter and doc/liboctave
directories are quiet for me.  I see this for TeX and makeinfo:

     GEN      splinefit4.txt
     GEN      splinefit6.txt
     GEN      doc-cache
     TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
     MAKEINFO octave.html
     MAKEINFO /home/jwe/src/octave/doc/interpreter/octave.info
     TEXI2PDF octave.pdf
     DVIPS    octave.ps
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file plot.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file hist.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file errorbar.eps is not in the mapping
file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file polar.eps is not in the mapping file.
   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file mesh.eps is not in the mapping file.

The font warnings are something to be fixed...

The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.

Re: silent rules

On 02/21/2015 09:32 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.

I checked in a change for the doc/refcard directory.

Re: silent rules

I checked in another couple of changes.  I think pretty much everything
that should be silenced is now.  If there is something else, let me know.

Re: silent rules

Rik-4
On 02/21/2015 06:32 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 02/21/2015 09:13 AM, Rik wrote:
>
>> As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet
>> the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of
>> output from TeX during the production of the documentation.
>
> With the changes I made yesterday, he doc/interpreter and doc/liboctave
> directories are quiet for me.  I see this for TeX and makeinfo:

>     GEN      splinefit4.txt
>     GEN      splinefit6.txt
>     GEN      doc-cache
>     TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
>     MAKEINFO octave.html
>     MAKEINFO /home/jwe/src/octave/doc/interpreter/octave.info
>     TEXI2PDF octave.pdf
>     DVIPS    octave.ps
>   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file plot.eps is not in the mapping file.
>   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file hist.eps is not in the mapping file.
>   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file errorbar.eps is not in the mapping
> file.
>   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file polar.eps is not in the mapping file.
>   dvips: Font Helvetica used in file mesh.eps is not in the mapping file.
>
> The font warnings are something to be fixed...
>
> The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.

Maybe it's a difference between Autotool verisons or Texinfo versions?  I'm
back on Kubuntu 12.04 and the output is verbose.

cd doc/interpreter
make clean
make -j1 octave.pdf

TEXINPUTS="./..:$TEXINPUTS" \
    MAKEINFO='/bin/bash
/home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/build-aux/missing --run makeinfo
-I .' \
    texi2dvi --build-dir=t2d_cache octave.texi

and then tons of output.  No big deal if I'm the only one who has this issue.

--Rik

Re: silent rules

On 02/24/2015 12:21 PM, Rik wrote:

> On 02/21/2015 06:32 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
>> On 02/21/2015 09:13 AM, Rik wrote:
>>
>>> As long as we're going with silent rules, is there also a way to quiet
>>> the output from the doc/interpreter directory?  I get screenfuls of
>>> output from TeX during the production of the documentation.
>>
>> With the changes I made yesterday, he doc/interpreter and doc/liboctave
>> directories are quiet for me.  I see this for TeX and makeinfo:

>>      GEN      splinefit4.txt
>>      GEN      splinefit6.txt
>>      GEN      doc-cache
>>      TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
>>      MAKEINFO octave.html
>>      MAKEINFO /home/jwe/src/octave/doc/interpreter/octave.info
>>      TEXI2PDF octave.pdf
>>      DVIPS    octave.ps
>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file plot.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file hist.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file errorbar.eps is not in the mapping
>> file.
>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file polar.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file mesh.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>
>> The font warnings are something to be fixed...
>>
>> The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.
>
> Maybe it's a difference between Autotool verisons or Texinfo versions?  I'm
> back on Kubuntu 12.04 and the output is verbose.
>
> cd doc/interpreter
> make clean
> make -j1 octave.pdf
>
> TEXINPUTS="./..:$TEXINPUTS" \
>      MAKEINFO='/bin/bash
> /home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/build-aux/missing --run makeinfo
> -I .' \
>      texi2dvi --build-dir=t2d_cache octave.texi
>
> and then tons of output.  No big deal if I'm the only one who has this issue.

What version of automake do you have?  Texinfo?  I have 1.14.1 and
5.2.0.  What do the generated rules in doc/interpreter/Makefile look
like?  I see

.texi.pdf:
        $(AM_V_TEXI2PDF)TEXINPUTS="$(am__TEXINFO_TEX_DIR)$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$$TEXINPUTS" \
        MAKEINFO='$(MAKEINFO) $(AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS) $(MAKEINFOFLAGS) -I $(srcdir)' \
        $(TEXI2PDF) $(AM_V_texinfo) --build-dir=$(@:.pdf=.t2p) -o $@
$(AM_V_texidevnull) \
        $<

Does the rule for making .pdf from .texi that is generated for you have
the $(AM_V_texidevnull) part?

Re: silent rules

Rik-4
On 02/24/2015 09:30 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 02/24/2015 12:21 PM, Rik wrote:

>>> With the changes I made yesterday, he doc/interpreter and doc/liboctave
>>> directories are quiet for me.  I see this for TeX and makeinfo:

>>>      GEN      splinefit4.txt
>>>      GEN      splinefit6.txt
>>>      GEN      doc-cache
>>>      TEXI2DVI octave.dvi
>>>      MAKEINFO octave.html
>>>      MAKEINFO /home/jwe/src/octave/doc/interpreter/octave.info
>>>      TEXI2PDF octave.pdf
>>>      DVIPS    octave.ps
>>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file plot.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file hist.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file errorbar.eps is not in the mapping
>>> file.
>>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file polar.eps is not in the mapping
>>> file.
>>>    dvips: Font Helvetica used in file mesh.eps is not in the mapping file.
>>>
>>> The font warnings are something to be fixed...
>>>
>>> The doc/refcard directory is not quiet, but I'll take a look at that now.
>>
>> Maybe it's a difference between Autotool verisons or Texinfo versions?  I'm
>> back on Kubuntu 12.04 and the output is verbose.
>>
>> cd doc/interpreter
>> make clean
>> make -j1 octave.pdf
>>
>> TEXINPUTS="./..:$TEXINPUTS" \
>>      MAKEINFO='/bin/bash
>> /home/rik/wip/Projects_Mine/octave-dev/build-aux/missing --run makeinfo
>> -I .' \
>>      texi2dvi --build-dir=t2d_cache octave.texi
>>
>> and then tons of output.  No big deal if I'm the only one who has this
>> issue.
>
> What version of automake do you have?  Texinfo?  I have 1.14.1 and
> 5.2.0.  What do the generated rules in doc/interpreter/Makefile look
> like?  I see
>
> .texi.pdf:
>     $(AM_V_TEXI2PDF)TEXINPUTS="$(am__TEXINFO_TEX_DIR)$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$$TEXINPUTS"
> \
>     MAKEINFO='$(MAKEINFO) $(AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS) $(MAKEINFOFLAGS) -I
> $(srcdir)' \
>     $(TEXI2PDF) $(AM_V_texinfo) --build-dir=$(@:.pdf=.t2p) -o $@
> $(AM_V_texidevnull) \
>     $<
>
> Does the rule for making .pdf from .texi that is generated for you have
> the $(AM_V_texidevnull) part?

My rule is

.texi.pdf:
    TEXINPUTS="$(am__TEXINFO_TEX_DIR)$(PATH_SEPARATOR)$$TEXINPUTS" \
    MAKEINFO='$(MAKEINFO) $(AM_MAKEINFOFLAGS) $(MAKEINFOFLAGS) -I $(srcdir)' \
    $(TEXI2PDF) $<

so it is just my slightly old Ubuntu system.

Automake: 1.11.3
Texinfo: 4.13a

--Rik

Re: silent rules

Mike Miller
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 09:47:41 -0800, Rik wrote:
> so it is just my slightly old Ubuntu system.
>
> Automake: 1.11.3
> Texinfo: 4.13a

Looks like you need Automake 1.12 or newer for silent texinfo rules:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/commit/?id=94121099cfe42ca944eaff6805a5404ee0234060