Re: statistics distributions function names

Re: statistics distributions function names

Bill Denney
I think that one reason is when functions don't have the exact same
functionality as the ML functions.

What do people think about (if there is a case where the function has a
reason to not be the same as the matlab function) putting an empty
function that just spits out an error and has help text pointing to the
octave function?  That strikes me as something without much difficulty and
it would help people transition code to Octave.

Bill

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Ben Barrowes wrote:

> Why are the names for the distribution functions in
> /usr/local/share/octave/2.9.3/m/statistics/distributions/
> different from their ML counterparts?
>
> I see at:
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/statistics.html
> that there is a compatibility table e.g.
> weib*
>   use weibull_*
> but why put users through the effort? After installing octave and trying some
> matlab code to see if it would work, octave couldn't find functions like
> fcdf.m. I had to find free sources on the web such as
> http://www.spatial-econometrics.com/
> and write my own fcdf.m before I found f_cdf.m

"An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy."  -- Spanish proverb