Re: syntax error indicator missing in Octave 6

Re: syntax error indicator missing in Octave 6

Rik-4
On 03/01/2020 09:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Subject:
parse syntax error caret indicator missing in 6
From:
Colin Macdonald [hidden email]
Date:
02/29/2020 03:25 PM
To:
[hidden email] [hidden email]
7bit
Message:
1

The caret syntax error indicator seems to missing in 6.0.  Is this a regression?  Its still mentioned in doc/interpreter/basics.txi

In 5.2:

```
octave:1> 1 + (2 + !)
parse error:

  syntax error

>>> 1 + (2 + !)
              ^

```

In 6.0 and 7.0 from git/hg:

```
1 + (2 + !))
error: parse error:

  syntax error

```
(tested with today's tip and much older 6.0 stable)

I have a vague sense this was discussed, so apologies if this is a dupe.

thanks,
Colin

--
Colin Macdonald
Associate Professor

Yes, this is a regression.  I filed a bug report about this back in January (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?57536).  Unfortunately there aren't a lot of coders with expertise in the parser portion of Octave, perhaps only jwe at this point.

--Rik