Re: xlread in 3.6.0

PhilipNienhuis [via Octave]
Actually this question belongs to the octave-forge mailing list (xlsread comes from the octave-forge io package) => cc'd

Ming Lu wrote
Hi Everyone,

I used xlread in 3.4.3 to read some Excel 2007 xlsm files with no problem, but the same code doesn't work in 3.6.0 anymore. The error is as following:
Detected interfaces: not working.
POI (& OOXML)*; JXL; OXS; (* = active interface)
Couldn't open file xxxxxxx.xlsm using POI;
error: JXL can only read reliably from .xls files

anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks.
Some counter questions:

- What operating system?

- Are you talking about the very same .xlsm files that were read from OK in 3.4.3 but no more in 3.6.0?

- Could you please run (in Octave-3.6.0 then):
      chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
('' = empty string) to get more diagnostics about what does work and what doesn't?

AFAIK in xlsopen.m (the file that yields the messages) nothing has changed lately that could affect handling of OOXML files.
Here on my box I can read at least .xlsx files as usual with Octave-3.6.0.  I've never tried .xlsm files (those seem to be macro files?)

Philip

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4453675.html
This email was sent by PhilipNienhuis (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion

Re: xlread in 3.6.0

Ming Lu [via Octave]
did more tests and it seems 3.6.1 also can't read .xlsx (excel 2007 file without marco) files. thanks.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4454733.html
To unsubscribe from xlread in 3.6.0, click here.
NAML

Re: xlread in 3.6.0

PhilipNienhuis [via Octave]-2
Please don't top post. Just reply BELOW relevant stanzas, to make it easier to follow the discussion. You might also switch html off - makes it even more easy to read. Thanks.

Read on....

Ming Lu wrote
I just installed 3.6.1 from Octave-Forge and got the same error as 3.6.0. My answer is in the quote part. Thanks for helping.
PhilipNienhuis wrote
Actually this question belongs to the octave-forge mailing list (xlsread comes from the octave-forge io package) => cc'd

Some counter questions:

- What operating system?
Windows XP sp3
- Are you talking about the very same .xlsm files that were read from OK in 3.4.3 but no more in 3.6.0?
Yes, exact same xlsm files and exact octave code
- Could you please run (in Octave-3.6.0 then):
      chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
('' = empty string) to get more diagnostics about what does work and what doesn't?
3.6.1
Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.

Checking Java support...
  1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
  2. Checking Octave Java support... Java package seems to work OK.
  Java (version 1.6.0_29) seems OK.
  Maximum JVM memory:   248 MiB; should better be at least 400 MB!
    Hint: adapt setting -Xmx in file "java.opts" (supposed to be here:)
    C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\share\octave\packages\java-<version>\java.opts
Java support OK

Checking javaclasspath for .jar class libraries needed for spreadsheet I/O...:

Basic POI (.xls) <poi-3> <poi-ooxml>:
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\lib\java\poi-3.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\lib\java\poi-ooxml-3.jar OK
  => Apache (POI) OK

POI OOXML (.xlsx) <xbean> <poi-ooxml-schemas> <dom4j>:
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\lib\java\xbean.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\lib\java\poi-ooxml-schemas.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2\lib\java\dom4j-1.6.1.jar OK
  => POI OOXML OK
<snip>
3.4.3
<snip>
Basic POI (.xls) <poi-3> <poi-ooxml>:
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin\poi-3.7-20101029.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin\poi-ooxml-3.7-20101029.jar OK
  => Apache (POI) OK

POI OOXML (.xlsx) <xbean> <poi-ooxml-schemas> <dom4j>:
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin\xbean.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin\poi-ooxml-schemas-3.7-20101029.jar OK
  - C:\Octave\Octave3.4.3_gcc4.5.2\bin\dom4j-1.6.1.jar OK
  => POI OOXML OK
<snip>
It looks some Jar files were changed.
At least the names differ. But before drawing conclusions, you could:
- Compare files sizes and md5sums of the Java class libs in the 3.4.3 and 3.6.0/3.6.1 Octave installations;
- Where they differ, try to copy the jar files from the 3.4.3 installation over to the 3.6.x installation(s) and see what happens then.

Other than that, I have no clue what is going wrong.

On my box, 3.4.3 and 3.6.1 have similar javaclasspath entries as on yours (i.e., their names differ in the same way between 3.4.3 and 3.6.x) but otherwise they are the same size.

FYI, xlsopen.m (the function that creates the spreadsheet file pointer struct) merely checks if the relevant jars are in the javaclasspath for each interface.
Proper operation of the Java class libs is only checked during the first actual Java statements/method calls. If these fail (as seem to happen in your case) I suspect something is wrong with them.

But again, I've never attempted to read .xlsm files.

If one of those isn't too big you could attempt to send me one, then I can try to debug it IF it also fails here. I suppose you could easily decode my email address.

Philip

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4454951.html
To unsubscribe from xlread in 3.6.0, click here.
NAML

Re: xlread in 3.6.0

Ming Lu [via Octave]-2
Hi Philip,
Thank you very much for you help, I checked the jars files between 3.4.3 and 3.6.1 and they are indeed the same. And I tested a few newly created dummy xlsm files and 3.6.1 just worked fine. It seems only certain xlsm files can cause the error in 3.6.1, unfortunately I can't send my working spreadsheet files out as they are confidential.  I will try to dig into this. Thank you again for you help.

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4456642.html
To unsubscribe from xlread in 3.6.0, click here.
NAML

Re: xlread in 3.6.1

TedSwift [via Octave]
I've followed this thread, but am still not able to get
chk_spreadsheet_support
to check out right. After putting Java in what I thought was the right place, these are the results of my last check:

octave:5> chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)

Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.

Checking Java support...
  1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
  2. Checking Octave Java support... error: No Java support found: `java_invoke' undefined near line 49 column 16.
error: called from:
error:   C:/Octave/Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2/share/octave/packages\io-1.0.18\chk_spreadsheet_support.m at line 176, column 3

Something fundamental is still missing, or I don't have the setenv path set right. Are there any other diagnostic tools that will help me figure out where the breakdown is? Thanks, all.
-Ted

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4644061.html
To unsubscribe from xlread in 3.6.0, click here.
NAML

Re: xlread in 3.6.1

Markus Bergholz [via Octave]

Am 13.09.2012 01:17 schrieb "TedSwift" <[hidden email]>:

> I've followed this thread, but am still not able to get
> chk_spreadsheet_support
> to check out right. After putting Java in what I thought was the right
> place, these are the results of my last check:
>
> octave:5> chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
>
> Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.
>
> Checking Java support...
>   1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
>   2. Checking Octave Java support... error: No Java support found:
> `java_invoke' undefined near line 49 column 16.
> error: called from:
> error:
> C:/Octave/Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2/share/octave/packages\io-1.0.18\chk_spreadsheet_support.m
> at line 176, column 3
>
> Something fundamental is still missing, or I don't have the setenv path set
> right. Are there any other diagnostic tools that will help me figure out
> where the breakdown is? Thanks, all.
> -Ted

You could try to follow Thema instruction in the Wiki from arch linux.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Octave

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/xlread-in-3-6-0-tp4451557p4644065.html
To unsubscribe from xlread in 3.6.0, click here.
NAML

Re: xlread in 3.6.1

PhilipNienhuis
TedSwift [via Octave] wrote:

> I've followed this thread, but am still not able to get
> chk_spreadsheet_support
> to check out right. After putting Java in what I thought was the right
> place, these are the results of my last check:
>
> octave:5> chk_spreadsheet_support ('', 3)
>
> Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.
>
> Checking Java support...
> 1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
> 2. Checking Octave Java support... error: No Java support found:
> `java_invoke' undefined near line 49 column 16.

=> no or improperly installed Java package.

> error: called from:
> error:
> C:/Octave/Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2/share/octave/packages\io-1.0.18\chk_spreadsheet_support.m
> at line 176, column 3
>
> Something fundamental is still missing, or I don't have the setenv path
> set right. Are there any other diagnostic tools that will help me figure
> out where the breakdown is? Thanks, all.

Try to run the newest Java package preinstall.m before your next attempt
to install the Java package (any version).
This file is in the svn repo here:

http://octave.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/octave/trunk/octave-forge/extra/java/pre_install.m?sortby=rev&view=log
(watch for line wrap, take revision 10760, "download" or "as text", be
sure to save it as a .m-file, and run it in Octave)

I've only recently committed it in an attempt to avoid half-baked Java
package installations.
It'll check where Octave should look for the jvm lib and the executables
and will complain if any of them is not found.

I think the fact that the Java package installer not being able to find
the Java executables (java, jar, javac) in the place it expects them to
be was the creepy showstopper in many frustrating cases.
You might make symlinks to them in your $PATH (in my Mageia 2 linux
installation they seem to be silently created in /usr/bin by urpmi).

Please copy preinstall.m's error msg (if any) in a reply mail. For me
that's handy to have, because I might decide to implement (parts of)
preinstall.m's functionality in chk_spreadsheet_support as well.

BTW I've also recently updated the Octave wiki on exactly this subject:
http://wiki.octave.org/Java_package#Make_sure_that_the_build_environment_is_configured_properly
(line wrap!)

Philip