Re: xlread in 3.6.1

PhilipNienhuis
Swift, Ted J. wrote:

> [...]

Please keep list cc'd

Yes; clearly javac isn't in the PATH. Which makes sense as on Windows
systems, the <JDK>/bin directory is usually not in the PATH, unlike *nix
systems where there are usually symlinks to java, javac and jar in /usr/bin

Apparently the relevant statements in preinstall.m that should fix this
don't work properly.
So what you can do, in Octave, is (after setting JAVA_HOME):

  setenv ("PATH", [getenv('PATH') pathsep '/full/path/to/JDK/bin'])

(single quotes) where I suppose (but please check) that
'/full/path/to/JDK/bin' boils down to
'C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0_05/bin'
and then again try to install the Java package.
If it doesn't work, try again with backslashes instead of forward slashes.

If none of this works I'm out of ideas.

Philip

Re: xlread in 3.6.1

TedSwift
> > I'm going back to the basics and taking a close look at
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Java_package#Make_sure_that_the_build_environme
> > nt_is_configured_properly
> >
> > I looked for where the JDK was installed and it is in (recall this is
> > in Windows 7; sorry)
> >
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_05
> >
> > After setting the environment in octaverc:
> >
> >> setenv('JAVA_HOME','C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0_05');
> >
> > I launched Octave again, and invoked pre_install again. This time it returned silently, no errors.:
> >
> >> octave:1>  pwd
> >> ans = C:\Users\tswift
> >> octave:2>  pre_install
> >> octave:3>  chk_spreadsheet_support('',3)
> >>
> >> Checking Excel/ActiveX/COM... not working.
> >>
> >> Checking Java support...
> >>    1. Checking Java JRE presence.... OK, found one.
> >>    2. Checking Octave Java support... error: No Java support found: `java_invoke' undefined near line 49 column 16.
> >> error: called from:
> >> error:   C:/Octave/Octave3.6.1_gcc4.6.2/share/octave/packages\io-1.0.18\chk_spreadsheet_support.m at line 176, column 3
> >> octave:3>  system ('javac -version 2>  nul') ans =  1 octave:4>
> >> system ('javac -version 2>  null') ans =  1 octave:5>
> >

> > In the file 'null' is the message:
> >> 'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> >> operable program or batch file.
> >
> > There is a javac in the /bin subdirectory, however.
> > Any thoughts? Thank you.
>
> Please keep list cc'd
>
> Yes; clearly javac isn't in the PATH. Which makes sense as on Windows systems, the <JDK>/bin directory is usually not in the PATH, unlike *nix systems where there are usually symlinks to java, javac and jar in /usr/bin
>
> Apparently the relevant statements in preinstall.m that should fix this don't work properly.
> So what you can do, in Octave, is (after setting JAVA_HOME):
>
>   setenv ("PATH", [getenv('PATH') pathsep '/full/path/to/JDK/bin'])
>
> (single quotes) where I suppose (but please check) that '/full/path/to/JDK/bin' boils down to 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0_05/bin'
> and then again try to install the Java package.
> If it doesn't work, try again with backslashes instead of forward slashes.
>
> If none of this works I'm out of ideas.
>
> Philip

Thanks again. I will try those suggestions and report back to the list. Also, I've wondered whether the space in to 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/...' (between Program and Files) is throwing off Octave. I'd noted the warning early on that Octave doesn't like spaces in paths- which is allowed and common in Windows and Mac directories. But I've been assuming that since it's within quotes it's OK.
More soon.
-Ted
Ted Swift, Ph.D.
Staff Environmental Scientist, DWR Municipal Water Quality Investigations Branch
916-376-9718, [hidden email]
Mailing: P.O. Box 942836 Sacramento, CA 94236-0001
Physical: 3500 Industrial Blvd., West Sacramento, CA  95691-6521
"Reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." -Richard Feynman

Re: xlread in 3.6.1

PhilipNienhuis

:
:
>> Ted Swift wrote 3 Oct 2012:
>>>    --------
>>> Hello again, Philip,
>>> I'm going back to the basics and taking a close look at
:
<snip>
:

>>> In the file 'null' is the message:
>>>
>>> There is a javac in the /bin subdirectory, however.
>>> Any thoughts? Thank you.
>>
>> Please keep list cc'd
>>
>> Yes; clearly javac isn't in the PATH. Which makes sense as on Windows systems, the<JDK>/bin directory is usually not in the PATH, unlike *nix systems where there are usually symlinks to java, javac and jar in /usr/bin
>>
>> Apparently the relevant statements in preinstall.m that should fix this don't work properly.
>> So what you can do, in Octave, is (after setting JAVA_HOME):
>>
>>    setenv ("PATH", [getenv('PATH') pathsep '/full/path/to/JDK/bin'])
>>
>> (single quotes) where I suppose (but please check) that '/full/path/to/JDK/bin' boils down to 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Java/jdk1.7.0_05/bin'
>> and then again try to install the Java package.
>> If it doesn't work, try again with backslashes instead of forward slashes.
>>
>> If none of this works I'm out of ideas.

Too soon... I forgot the very obvious options:

- Are you sure the Java package is loaded at all?
If you do (in Octave)
   pkg list

do you see in the output (possibly after scrolling down) a line like:

:
                java *|   1.2.8 |
...\Octave\Octave-3.6.2\share\octave\packages\java-1.2.8
:

(line wrap!)
i.e., with the asterisk after the package name?
If not (when you don't see the asterisk) you should do (in Octave)
   pkg load java

and try again.

Philip