Redhat Packages

James Ryan-3
I am looking for 2.09 in a rpm.  Is there such a beast?

Redhat Packages

John W. Eaton-6
On 21-Aug-1997, James Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:

| I am looking for 2.09 in a rpm.  Is there such a beast?

I don't know of one.

There is a Debian package and a generic binary distribution of 2.0.9
for Linux on Intel systems.  Both are available from ftp.che.wisc.edu
in the directory /pub/octave/BINARIES.

I've found the following site to be very useful when trying to find
out if something is available on some ftp archive somewhere:

  http://ftpsearch.ntnu.no/ftpsearch

Re: Redhat Packages

Krzysztof Gozdziewski

> On 21-Aug-1997, James Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> | I am looking for 2.09 in a rpm.  Is there such a beast?
>
> I don't know of one.
>
> There is a Debian package and a generic binary distribution of 2.0.9
> for Linux on Intel systems.  Both are available from ftp.che.wisc.edu
> in the directory /pub/octave/BINARIES.

Thats is good. Debian packages may be easily transformed to
rpm packages of Red Hat by alien utility. The package ''alien'' may
be found on redhat-contrib distribution. Recent version is something about
5.4.

Other way, the original binary distribution of octave is easy
to install in RH Linux system (I have checked this).

The general difference is that all rpm's are
installed in /usr, octave and other, ''non--rpm'' programs, by default
usually go to /usr/local.

Regards

chris

--