Reg: GSOD-2020 Documentation

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings
I had successfully built octave on my Mac. Thanks to Andrew Janke for his help and guidance.
So as to edit the the documentation locally on my device, what I did was to open the HTML file in sublime text and then I did some addition to the documentation .
So should I submit the HTML file in which I'm making the changes to savannah in the bug tracker or is there any other way ?
Hoping to hear from you soon
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

Re: Reg: GSOD-2020 Documentation

Nir Krakauer-3
That's good news that you were able to build Octave. Try to follow the
directions at [1] for submitting your edits. You can look at the bug
and patch trackers for some samples of previous contributors and the
review comments they got, for example [2].

[1] https://wiki.octave.org/Mercurial#Submitting_patches
[2] https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?func=detailitem&item_id=9056

Re: Reg: GSOD-2020 Documentation

siko1056

On 5/10/20 5:59 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> That's good news that you were able to build Octave. Try to follow the
> directions at [1] for submitting your edits. You can look at the bug
> and patch trackers for some samples of previous contributors and the
> review comments they got, for example [2].

In addition to Nir, the general documentation edit workflow goes like this:

You find (hypothetically) some mistake in

https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Calling-External-Code-from-Oct_002dFiles.html

then it makes no sense to edit the generated file
"Calling-External-Code-from-Oct_002dFiles.html" and submit it to the bug
tracker or alike.  This file is generated, thus not part of Octave's
source code.

The correct procedure is to find the corresponding source file in
Octave's source code.  In the example above "doc/interpreter/external.txi"

https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/0421b1455758/doc/interpreter/external.txi#l975

Then make the respective changes in "external.txi", run "make" again,
check, if the locally recreated file
"Calling-External-Code-from-Oct_002dFiles.html" looks satisfying.

If you are satisfied with your changes in "external.txi", please
generate a Mercurial changeset [1] as Nir described already.

HTH,
Kai