Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings,
I'm having a few difficulties in installing the dependencies through the terminal in mac .
Is there any other way I can extract the documentation ?
Hoping to hear from you soon
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

Nir Krakauer-3
Being able to build Octave would be important to a GSoD project, so
you should learn how to do it. We can try to help you if you give
details about the problem you had.

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

siko1056

On 5/6/20 8:04 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
> Being able to build Octave would be important to a GSoD project, so
> you should learn how to do it. We can try to help you if you give
> details about the problem you had.

Dear Prubhtej Singh,

Nir is right.  If it is not possible to build Octave on a mac (I never
tried myself), maybe you should consider some virtualization technology,
e.g. VirtualBox [1], with Debian / Ubuntu for building Octave "in a box".

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

apjanke-floss

On 5/6/20 12:10 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On 5/6/20 1:18 AM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:
>> Greetings,
>> I'm having a few difficulties in installing the dependencies through the
>> terminal in mac .
>> Is there any other way I can extract the documentation ?
>> Hoping to hear from you soon
>> Regards
>> Prubhtej Singh
>

> On 5/6/20 8:04 AM, Nir Krakauer wrote:
>> Being able to build Octave would be important to a GSoD project, so
>> you should learn how to do it. We can try to help you if you give
>> details about the problem you had.
>>

> Dear Prubhtej Singh,
>
> Nir is right.  If it is not possible to build Octave on a mac (I never
> tried myself), maybe you should consider some virtualization technology,
> e.g. VirtualBox [1], with Debian / Ubuntu for building Octave "in a box".
>
> HTH,
> Kai
>
> [1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

If you just need Octave to be built, and not have to worry about working
on the build system itself, you can use Homebrew with the custom Octave
formulae provided by
Octave.app [1]. To do so:

* Install MacTeX from https://tug.org/mactex/
* Install Homebrew from https://brew.sh/
* Then, in the terminal:

$ brew tap octave-app/octave-app
$ brew install octave-default

This will take care of installing all the dependencies for you, and
applies a couple patches needed on Mac. It's worked pretty reliably for
me for the past couple years.

The "octave-default" formula builds and installs Octave from the head of
the "default" branch, which is where the latest development takes place.

If you then need to build Octave from a local checkout of the octave
Mercurial repo (so you can see how your modifications to the doco look),
you can use my Mac build scripts from
https://github.com/apjanke/octave-build. These will build Octave against
all the dependencies installed by Homebrew.

macOS 10.13 or newer is required.

If any of this doesn't work for you, let us know at
https://github.com/octave-app/octave-app/issues and we'll try to fix it.
One of our goals is to make it easy for people to build and hack on
Octave on macOS.

(Octave.app is a third-party project dedicated to building and
distributing Octave on Macs, maintained by Sebastian Schoeps and myself.)

Cheers,
Andrew Janke

[1] https://octave-app.org

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings,
I would like to thank you all for your guidance and support. I will definitely use these steps and try to build octave . If I find any difficulties, I will surely contact you.
Regards
Prubhtej Singh

[1] https://octave-app.org

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation

PRUBHTEJ SINGH
Greetings ,
When I'm running the command : "../configure" in my terminal, I've been getting these errors constantly :
1. checking syntax of bison api.prefix (or name-prefix) declaration...

configure: WARNING:

I wasn't able to find a suitable style for declaring the api prefix

in a bison input file so I'm disabling bison.  We expect bison to

understand the '%define api.prefix { PREFIX }' syntax.

configure: WARNING:

I didn't find bison, or the version of bison that I found does not

support all the features that are required, but it's only a problem

if you need to reconstruct parse.cc, which is the case if you're

building from VCS sources.

checking for makeinfo... makeinfo

checking for makeinfo support for @sortas command... no

configure: WARNING:

I wasn't able to find a version of GNU makeinfo that supports the

@sortas command, but it's only a problem if you need to build the

manual, which is the case if you're building from VCS sources.

2.configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later

I did try to remove the 2nd error by using : "brew reinstall readline", but nothing happened and I keep getting the same error.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Regards

Prubhtej Singh

[1] https://octave-app.org

On 5/6/20 1:32 PM, PRUBHTEJ SINGH wrote:

> Greetings ,
> When I'm running the command : "../configure" in my terminal, I've been
> getting these errors constantly :
> 1. checking syntax of bison api.prefix (or name-prefix) declaration...
>
> configure: WARNING:
>

> I wasn't able to find a suitable style for declaring the api prefix
>  [...snip...]

This is a Bison version problem. Since Homebrew's Bison installation
doesn't override the macOS system-provided Bison (which is too old), you
need to explicitly pull it in before doing the configure:

$ brew_opt="$(brew --prefix)/opt"
$ export YACC=$brew_opt/bison/bin/yacc

Are you using the configure_octave.sh script from my octave-build
repo[1]? That should take care of this for you. If you follow the steps
in its README, Octave should build right out of the box.

Cheers,
Andrew

[1] https://github.com/apjanke/octave-build

Re: Reg: GSoD 2020- Documentation