Release 6.1

Rik-4
I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it will be
1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable and we can
start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up before the
Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.

--Rik

Re: Release 6.1

mmuetzel
Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
> I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it will be
> 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable and we can
> start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up before the
> Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.

I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that ready for their freeze.
I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.

Maybe, it would be safer to leave the current stable branch open for a few weeks after 5.2 is released to be able to fix some emerging bug that we might have missed. That way we would have a "really stable" 5.2 (or 5.3 if this should be necessary) instead of a "rushed" 6.1 for the Ubuntu LTS.

Markus

Re: Release 6.1

Sébastien Villemot-2
Le jeudi 30 janvier 2020 à 12:55 +0100, Markus Mützel a écrit :

> Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
> > I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it
> > will be
> > 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable
> > and we can
> > start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up
> > before the
> > Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.
>
> I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that
> ready for their freeze.
> I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to
> stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are
> still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.
It won’t be easy to have Octave 6.1 in Ubuntu LTS 20.04.

Ubuntu LTS normally takes its packages from Debian testing. For sure,
it’s already too late to have Octave 6.1 in Debian testing by that date
(we have to manage a so-called “transition” on the Debian side, and
this typically takes several weeks, sometimes even months).

Maybe it would be possible to request an exception from the Ubuntu
folks and have Octave 6.1 taken from Debian experimental. But, even if
Ubuntu granted that exception, I’m not even sure that I will have the
time to upload Octave 6.1 to Debian experimental in time, depending on
the release date.

So my advise would be to not tie the release schedule of Octave 6.1 to
Ubuntu’s.

On the other hand, having Octave 5.2 in Ubuntu LTS is perfectly
feasible (because a minor update requires much less time to be
performed on the Debian side).

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer

Re: Release 6.1

Carnë Draug
On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 13:08, Sébastien Villemot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le jeudi 30 janvier 2020 à 12:55 +0100, Markus Mützel a écrit :
> > Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
> > > I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it
> > > will be
> > > 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable
> > > and we can
> > > start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up
> > > before the
> > > Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.
> >
> > I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> > But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that
> > ready for their freeze.
> > I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to
> > stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are
> > still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.
>
> It won’t be easy to have Octave 6.1 in Ubuntu LTS 20.04.
>
> Ubuntu LTS normally takes its packages from Debian testing. For sure,
> it’s already too late to have Octave 6.1 in Debian testing by that date
> (we have to manage a so-called “transition” on the Debian side, and
> this typically takes several weeks, sometimes even months).

I thought the same but recently checked this and apparently it's no
longer true.  Ubuntu's wiki DebianImportFreeze [1] states:

    Imports from Debian are from the unstable branch. (A historic
    note, for some LTS release 12.04 and lower were done from testing,
    but since the introduction of ProposedMigration syncs happen from
    unstable all the time.)

But that was last edited on 2015 so maybe no longer?

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebianImportFreeze

Re: Release 6.1

Sébastien Villemot-2
Le jeudi 30 janvier 2020 à 13:17 +0000, Carnë Draug a écrit :

> On Thu, 30 Jan 2020 at 13:08, Sébastien Villemot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> > > But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that
> > > ready for their freeze.
> > > I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to
> > > stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are
> > > still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.
> >
> > It won’t be easy to have Octave 6.1 in Ubuntu LTS 20.04.
> >
> > Ubuntu LTS normally takes its packages from Debian testing. For sure,
> > it’s already too late to have Octave 6.1 in Debian testing by that date
> > (we have to manage a so-called “transition” on the Debian side, and
> > this typically takes several weeks, sometimes even months).
>
> I thought the same but recently checked this and apparently it's no
> longer true.  Ubuntu's wiki DebianImportFreeze [1] states:
>
>     Imports from Debian are from the unstable branch. (A historic
>     note, for some LTS release 12.04 and lower were done from testing,
>     but since the introduction of ProposedMigration syncs happen from
>     unstable all the time.)
Thanks for pointing this, I was not aware of that change.

However, even uploading to Debian unstable cannot happen immediately
after the release, because we would first have: upload Octave 6.1 to
experimental, then verify that all Octave Forge packages still compile
work, patch those that don’t, and finally ask the permission from the
Release Team to upload to unstable. This whole process takes several
weeks, at least.

On 01/30/2020 03:55 AM, "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> Am 28. Januar 2020 um 17:36 Uhr schrieb "Rik":
>> I'm not clear on the exact 5.2 release date but it seems like it will be
>> 1/31 or 2/1.  After that, someone can merge default on to stable and we can
>> start the 6.1 cycle.  It seems like a worthy goal to finish up before the
>> Feb. 27th and the big Ubuntu freeze.
> I agree, it would be nice to get Octave 6.1 into the Ubuntu LTS.
> But I'm not sure if the remaining 4 weeks are enough to get that ready for their freeze.
> I remember there was a lot of activity after default was merged to stable for the 5.1 release (ASAN, PVC Analyzer, ...). And there are still a few open bugs that haven't been worked on yet.

One of the long-term goals is to move Octave towards a less onerous release
process.  We don't want to require perfection (especially on the first
release).  Instead, I think we should try very hard to get 6.1 released in
time.  Ubuntu will not allow a major update after Feb. 27th, but they will
allow unlimited bug fixes, so we should use that flexibility.

Also, some of the tasks are "nice to have", but not "need to have".  Static
code analysis, shortening long lines (bug #57599), typos in code comments
(another bug report) are nice, but not required.  Incidentally, I ran ASAN
and didn't see much difference between the current dev branch and 5.1.
There haven't been any major memory leaks introduced.

--Rik