Removed unnecessary "Author:" lines from code base

Removed unnecessary "Author:" lines from code base

Rik-4
jwe,

I removed the simple one-line "Author: XXX" entries from the entire code
base (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a4268efb7334).  I did
that programmatically with Perl.

I will now take a closer look at the remaining cases of "Author:",
"Created:", "Modified-by", "Adapted-by" which might need some hand-tuning.

--Rik

Re: Removed unnecessary "Author:" lines from code base

On 1/21/20 2:57 PM, Rik wrote:

> I removed the simple one-line "Author: XXX" entries from the entire code
> base (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a4268efb7334).  I did
> that programmatically with Perl.

Thanks for doing that.

> I will now take a closer look at the remaining cases of "Author:",
> "Created:", "Modified-by", "Adapted-by" which might need some hand-tuning.

OK.  I just noticed that I must have missed a few Adapted-by: jwe lines
and that there are a few special cases where there are statements like

// Arrayfun was originally a .m file written by Bill Denney and Jaroslav
// Hajek.  It was converted to C++ by jwe so that it could properly
// handle the nargout = 0 case.

and

// The following routines jcobi, dif, and dfopr are based on the code
// found in Villadsen, J. and M. L. Michelsen, Solution of Differential
// Equation Models by Polynomial Approximation, Prentice-Hall (1978)
// pages 418-420.
//
// Translated to C++ by jwe.

The simple Adapted-by lines can go, but I think it would be good to keep
the kinds of comments shown above.

On 01/21/2020 01:08 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 1/21/20 2:57 PM, Rik wrote:
>
>> I removed the simple one-line "Author: XXX" entries from the entire code
>> base (https://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/a4268efb7334).  I did
>> that programmatically with Perl.
>
> Thanks for doing that.
>
>> I will now take a closer look at the remaining cases of "Author:",
>> "Created:", "Modified-by", "Adapted-by" which might need some hand-tuning.
>
> OK.  I just noticed that I must have missed a few Adapted-by: jwe lines
> and that there are a few special cases where there are statements like
>
> // Arrayfun was originally a .m file written by Bill Denney and Jaroslav
> // Hajek.  It was converted to C++ by jwe so that it could properly
> // handle the nargout = 0 case.
>
> and
>
> // The following routines jcobi, dif, and dfopr are based on the code
> // found in Villadsen, J. and M. L. Michelsen, Solution of Differential
> // Equation Models by Polynomial Approximation, Prentice-Hall (1978)
> // pages 418-420.
> //
> // Translated to C++ by jwe.
>
> The simple Adapted-by lines can go, but I think it would be good to keep
> the kinds of comments shown above.
>
> jwe

That's good, because my simple scripts don't detect those kind of extended
comments anyways.

--Rik