Request: VPAT for GNU Octave

Judy Shui

Hello,

My name is Judy and I'm the accessibility analyst at the California State Polytechnic University in Pomona. A member of our faculty would like to install the GNU Octave software in the library which then opens it up to all students. We would like to review the software for accessibility.

In accordance with section 508 standards, the CSU system is committed to ensuring that its programs and services are accessible and usable by all students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities.

I'm inquiring to see there is a VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility Template) for GNU to help us with this review. If so, can you please provide? If not, can you provide some information about its accessibility?

Thank you!

Judy Shui

IT Compliance Program Analyst

California State Polytechnic University, Pomona

(909) 979-6484

Re: Request: VPAT for GNU Octave

siko1056
On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Judy Shui <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dear Judy Shui,

Thank you for considering using GNU Octave in your university library.  To my knowledge, Octave does not have a VPAT [1] document yet.
Was it helpful for you if we created a VPAT, for example "https://www.octave.org/accessibility/", containing information like RedHat [2] or GitHub [3] provide?
Moreover does the VPAT need to be checked/created by some official institution?

Kind regards,

Kai T. Ohlhus

Re: Request: VPAT for GNU Octave

Mike Miller-4
On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 07:42:53 +0100, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 6:46 PM Judy Shui <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm inquiring to see there is a VPAT (Voluntary Product Accessibility
> > Template) for GNU to help us with this review. If so, can you please
> > provide? If not, can you provide some information about its accessibility?
>
> Thank you for considering using GNU Octave in your university library.  To
> my knowledge, Octave does not have a VPAT [1] document yet.
> Was it helpful for you if we created a VPAT, for example "
> https://www.octave.org/accessibility/", containing information like RedHat
> [2] or GitHub [3] provide?
> Moreover does the VPAT need to be checked/created by some official
> institution?
I concur with Kai here. To the best of my knowledge no such VPAT exists
yet for Octave, but we would be happy to host one on the Octave web site
if one is created and it is helpful to people.

I would be willing to help fill in some of the details on the template.
I think we will probably need help from someone more familiar with
accessibility in general, and maybe from someone who is familiar with
the definitions on this template in particular.

Maybe we should move this to the maintainers mailing list? I set
Reply-To appropriately.