Revising the FAQ

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
As announced, I pushed a substantial revision to the FAQ, trying to
bring it up to date:

     http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/30f2a3b1d236

I put in comments many things I wasn't entirely sure about. I am
fairly certain of everything I did write. I don't think I wrote down
any blatant lies.

I want to include a new section and incorporate the Octave Wiki FAQ
with this one. The new section would be called "using Octave", since
the Octave Wiki FAQ mostly talks about how to accomplish several tasks
in Octave. Does this sound like a good idea?

I wonder if this is the right way to move the FAQ. Should it stay in
hg, or should I have moved everything to the wiki instead? Which way
would it be more likely for the FAQ to keep updated and relevant?

- Jordi G. H.

Re: Revising the FAQ

David Bateman-2
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> As announced, I pushed a substantial revision to the FAQ, trying to
> bring it up to date:
>
>      http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/30f2a3b1d236
>
> I put in comments many things I wasn't entirely sure about. I am
> fairly certain of everything I did write. I don't think I wrote down
> any blatant lies.
>
> I want to include a new section and incorporate the Octave Wiki FAQ
> with this one. The new section would be called "using Octave", since
> the Octave Wiki FAQ mostly talks about how to accomplish several tasks
> in Octave. Does this sound like a good idea?
>
> I wonder if this is the right way to move the FAQ. Should it stay in
> hg, or should I have moved everything to the wiki instead? Which way
> would it be more likely for the FAQ to keep updated and relevant?
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Two points

- The OnCleanUp function exists in Octave 3.4, but the object created by
this function needs to be destroyed to run the cleanup code so in my
opinion the code using OnCleanUp is less clear than the use of
unwind_protect in Octave.

- The text about mat-files is still true

D.

Re: Revising the FAQ

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
2011/3/1 David Bateman <[hidden email]>:

> - The OnCleanUp function exists in Octave 3.4, but the object created by
> this function needs to be destroyed to run the cleanup code so in my
> opinion the code using OnCleanUp is less clear than the use of
> unwind_protect in Octave.
>
> - The text about mat-files is still true

Thanks, I fixed both of those points in the FAQ.

- Jordi G. H.