Scaling Fonts/Icons on High DPI Machine

Zach Runzo
Hello again,

I am using a Lenovo Yoga C940.  I'm running windows 10 and my display is the recommended 3840x2160.  My question regards the icons in the GUI display as well as the axis label and titles on figures.  They extremely small and too the point of almost not visible.  I changed the toolbar icons settings to large but that still didn't seem to help much.  I couldn't find any other options to adjust those parameters.  On some matlab forums, there are some posts to account for High DPI with an option of "Override high DPI scaling behavior, scalling performed by:" Is there anything similar to that that would help my situation?

Pictures of my display are attached. Thanks for the help,
Zach

Annotation 2020-04-09 153020.jpg (255K) Download Attachment
Annotation 2020-04-09 152946.jpg (803K) Download Attachment

Re: Scaling Fonts/Icons on High DPI Machine

BGreen
On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 4:49 PM Zach Runzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello again,

I am using a Lenovo Yoga C940.  I'm running windows 10 and my display is the recommended 3840x2160.  My question regards the icons in the GUI display as well as the axis label and titles on figures.  They extremely small and too the point of almost not visible.  I changed the toolbar icons settings to large but that still didn't seem to help much.  I couldn't find any other options to adjust those parameters.  On some matlab forums, there are some posts to account for High DPI with an option of "Override high DPI scaling behavior, scalling performed by:" Is there anything similar to that that would help my situation?

Pictures of my display are attached. Thanks for the help,
Zach

For the plot elements, you can change size with calls like this:

close all
figure(1)
ha = axes();
hp = plot((1:1:5)+3*rand(1,5))
xlabel("x axis")
title("Hello there")
set(ha,"fontsize",30)
set(hp,"linewidth",10)
set(hp,"marker","o")
set(hp,"markersize",10)

Try different numbers until you find a size that works for you. Here are more complete lists of axis properties and line properties. The former are used for the labels and the latter for the plotted data.

I hope someone else can offer suggestions for the GUI icons.

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 5:11 PM Brett Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Addendum: to make the changes more automatic, you can also change the default by adding e.g.

set(0,"defaultaxesfontsize",20)

to your octaverc file, which is run every time Octave is started.

Re: Scaling Fonts/Icons on High DPI Machine

Zach Runzo
Thanks for the help.  Ended up doing some more research in looking for how to get to the octaverc file.  Ended up stumbling upon some better key words for my search.  Check out this website if anyone has a similar issue. This seemed to work

Scroll down to the bold title Improved high-DPI support for desktop apps

Thanks for the help,
Zach

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 12:01 AM Zach Runzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the help.  Ended up doing some more research in looking for how to get to the octaverc file.  Ended up stumbling upon some better key words for my search.  Check out this website if anyone has a similar issue. This seemed to work

Scroll down to the bold title Improved high-DPI support for desktop apps

Thanks for the help,
Zach

You're welcome, and thank you for sharing the solution you found.