Seeking help installing packages. New to Octave.

Seeking help installing packages. New to Octave.

Jigyasa
 Hi !
I am new to Octave.
Just installed Octave 4.0.0 in my Ubuntu 14.04 system.

On typing 'ver' in the Command Window got to know that there were 'no packages installed'.

I am trying 'pkg install -forge image' but nothing happens

Now, Tried downloading and 'pkg install image-2.4.1.tar.gz' ; it says missing COPYING file, but the file exists when I manually checked it.

Any help pls ?

Also tried: sudo apt-get install octave-image, but it gives the following error:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:  octave-image :
Depends: octave (>= 3.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: octave-general (>= 1.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: octave-signal (>= 1.2.0) but it is not going to be installed

Why does it say 'not going to be installed' ?

Also tried 'sudo apt-get install octave-general octave-signal' , same error saying broken dependencies.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Re: Seeking help installing packages. New to Octave.

Markus Bergholz

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Jigyasa <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hi !
I am new to Octave.
Just installed Octave 4.0.0 in my Ubuntu 14.04 system.

On typing '*ver*' in the Command Window got to know that there were 'no
packages installed'.

I am trying '*pkg install -forge image*' but nothing happens

What did you mean with "nothing happens". Something will always happen.
Furthermore pkg isn't very verbose when there are no warnings or errors during compilation.

octave:2> pkg install -forge image
For information about changes from previous versions of the image package, run 'news image'.
octave:3>

Use  > pkg install -forge -verbose image
when you need more action in you commandline.

compilation the the image packages takes here  ~3 minutes (mobile i5). Maybe it depends on your cpu power too.

Now, Tried downloading and '*pkg install image-2.4.1.tar.gz*' ; it says
missing COPYING file, but the file exists when I manually checked it.

Any help pls ?

Also tried: sudo apt-get install octave-image, but it gives the following
error:

/The following packages have unmet dependencies:  octave-image :
Depends: octave (>= 3.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: octave-general (>= 1.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: octave-signal (>= 1.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages./

Why does it say 'not going to be installed' ?

Also tried '*sudo apt-get install octave-general octave-signal*' , same
error saying broken dependencies.

Help appreciated.

Regards

icq: 167498924
XMPP|Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: Seeking help installing packages. New to Octave.

fbarbuto
On 07-09-2015 17:35, Jigyasa wrote:

>   Hi !
> I am new to Octave.
> Just installed Octave 4.0.0 in my Ubuntu 14.04 system.
>
> On typing '*ver*' in the Command Window got to know that there were 'no
> packages installed'.
>
> I am trying '*pkg install -forge image*' but nothing happens
>
> Now, Tried downloading and '*pkg install image-2.4.1.tar.gz*' ; it says
> missing COPYING file, but the file exists when I manually checked it.
>
> Any help pls ?
>
> Also tried: sudo apt-get install octave-image, but it gives the following
> error:
>
> /The following packages have unmet dependencies:  octave-image :
> Depends: octave (>= 3.8.0) but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: octave-general (>= 1.3.0) but it is not going to be installed
> Depends: octave-signal (>= 1.2.0) but it is not going to be installed
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages./
>
> Why does it say 'not going to be installed' ?
>
> Also tried '*sudo apt-get install octave-general octave-signal*' , same
> error saying broken dependencies.
>
> Help appreciated.
>
> Regards

After a couple of minutes (yes, you must be patient sometimes) the command:

pkg -forge install image

installed the package "image" on my computer. Octave 4.0.0, Ubuntu 14.04-64.

HTH,

Fausto

RE: Seeking help installing packages. New to Octave.

Allen.Windhorn-2
On 07-09-2015 17:35, Jigyasa wrote:
 >   Hi !
> I am new to Octave.
> Just installed Octave 4.0.0 in my Ubuntu 14.04 system.
>
> On typing '*ver*' in the Command Window got to know that there were
> 'no packages installed'.
>
> I am trying '*pkg install -forge image*' but nothing happens

I had this problem and it was caused because my computer was not allowed
access to Sourceforge.net, so I had to get someone to change a setting.  If
you have a firewall or your ISP blocks things you may have the same problem.

Regards,
Allen