Segmentation fault- clear -all

Charles Coronella
I'm experiencing some very frustrating problems with Octave. Its behavior seems to be quite erratic. Two important symptoms:

1) Issuing "clear -all" will cause a segmentation fault. Every time. Here's the message I see:
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
save to `octave-core' complete

2) Changes made to .m files are occasionally used. Occasionally not. No kidding. I can change a line in an .m file, and Octave keeps running the previous version of that .m file. Restarting Octave works, but do I need to restart the program every time I make an edit? That is not too efficient.

I'd guess there's an installation error, so here's what I think are the important data: Octave, version 3.0.3, configured for i686-pc-msdosmsvc. My computer runs Windows XP.

I'm open to suggestions.

Re: Segmentation fault- clear -all

Bill Denney-5
Charles Coronella wrote:

> I'm experiencing some very frustrating problems with Octave. Its
> behavior seems to be quite erratic. Two important symptoms:
>
> 1) Issuing "clear -all" will cause a segmentation fault. Every time.
> Here's the message I see:
> panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
> save to `octave-core' complete
>

> 2) Changes made to .m files are occasionally used. Occasionally not.
> No kidding. I can change a line in an .m file, and Octave keeps
> running the previous version of that .m file. Restarting Octave works,
> but do I need to restart the program every time I make an edit? That
> is not too efficient.
>
> I'd guess there's an installation error, so here's what I think are
> the important data: Octave, version 3.0.3, configured for
> i686-pc-msdosmsvc. My computer runs Windows XP.
Hi Charles,

This is a known bug that I think has been fixed.  Please see
http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2009-February/007984.html

Thanks,

Bill

On 19-Feb-2009, Bill Denney wrote:

| Charles Coronella wrote:
| > I'm experiencing some very frustrating problems with Octave. Its
| > behavior seems to be quite erratic. Two important symptoms:
| >
| > 1) Issuing "clear -all" will cause a segmentation fault. Every time.
| > Here's the message I see:
| > panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| > attempting to save variables to `octave-core'...
| > save to `octave-core' complete
| >

| > 2) Changes made to .m files are occasionally used. Occasionally not.
| > No kidding. I can change a line in an .m file, and Octave keeps
| > running the previous version of that .m file. Restarting Octave works,
| > but do I need to restart the program every time I make an edit? That
| > is not too efficient.
| >
| > I'd guess there's an installation error, so here's what I think are
| > the important data: Octave, version 3.0.3, configured for
| > i686-pc-msdosmsvc. My computer runs Windows XP.
| Hi Charles,
|
| This is a known bug that I think has been fixed.  Please see
| http://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/bug-octave/2009-February/007984.html

The suggestion in that message should avoid the first problem.

I haven't seen the other problem reported before, and it works for me,
so maybe this problem is specific to your system?  If you want help
debugging it, I think you'll have to provide more information and
tell us precisely what it is you are doing.  What directory is Octave
installed in?  Which file are you editing?  Are you editing and then
typing the name of the .m file again, or are you running a .m file in
a loop and editing it, and then expecting Octave to find the new
version of the file before it returns to the prompt?