Silent Install of Packages - Windows

Fangz
Is there a way to silent install packages, specifically the symbolic package?

Some of the professors at our university have decided they want to try
teaching with Octave.  Specifically they wanted Octave (which has silent
install switches), Control package (which appears to be included in the
install for Octave) and the Symbolic Package.

I see how it can be done manually, but I have over 100 systems to install
this on.

I could do an msi repackage, just hoping there is another way.

Thanks!

Re: Silent Install of Packages - Windows

siko1056
Thanks for giving Octave a try.

Can you sketch the commands you run and where you want to suppress
output?  I assume your university uses MS Windows systems, right?

There are some notes by the package maintainer on the MS Windows
installation [1].

HTH,
Kai

[1] https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

On 8/11/20 5:24 AM, Fangz wrote:

> Is there a way to silent install packages, specifically the symbolic package?
>
> Some of the professors at our university have decided they want to try
> teaching with Octave.  Specifically they wanted Octave (which has silent
> install switches), Control package (which appears to be included in the
> install for Octave) and the Symbolic Package.
>
> I see how it can be done manually, but I have over 100 systems to install
> this on.
>
> I could do an msi repackage, just hoping there is another way.
>
> Thanks!

Re: Silent Install of Packages - Windows

Fangz
Thanks, that link triggered me to wonder if I could install it from outside
Octave by using a command line, and I was able to do so but so far only when
I user is logged into the system.

This is the command line that I have successfully used to install the addon
when a user is logged in:

c:\octave\Octave-5.2.0\octave.vbs --eval "pkg install symbolic-2.9.0.tar.gz"

I will keep working at it - hopefully I can find a way to execute this when
a user is not logged in to the system.

Re: Silent Install of Packages - Windows

nrjank
Administrator
On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 3:59 PM Fangz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, that link triggered me to wonder if I could install it from outside
Octave by using a command line, and I was able to do so but so far only when
I user is logged into the system.

This is the command line that I have successfully used to install the addon
when a user is logged in:

c:\octave\Octave-5.2.0\octave.vbs --eval "pkg install symbolic-2.9.0.tar.gz"

just checking, but the systems have a working Python install already? Otherwise you may find it easier to use the bundled package.