Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Igor Ljubuncic
Hi folks,

I'm Igor, I work on the Snapcraft team at Canonical.

This may sound a little weird ... Long story short, we want to invite you over for a summit, to work with us creating an Octave snap.

We value and appreciate the contribution and importance of Octave in the scientific community. As a (former) physicist myself, I've used Octave on many occasions in my professional career, and I have a personal soft spot for it.

Summit wise, we are running a Snapcraft Summit, taking place in downtown Montreal, Canada from June 11th to 13th 2019. It is a software workshop attended by major software vendors and hosted by Snapcraft and Travis CI engineers.

If this sounds interesting, we can then discuss details, and I can send you over some more information, including some big words why this would be a really nice effort :)

Cheers,
Igor

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Doug Stewart-4

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Igor Ljubuncic <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

What would the person from octave group need to know, in order to help?
what would be expected of him/her?

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Igor Ljubuncic
Hello Doug,

Thanks for the quick answer.

On a technical level, snapcraft builds snaps using YAML syntax declarations from a "recipe."
This would require some familiarization with the snapcraft keywords and components used to build snaps.
We are more than happy to help in this regard, especially since we can all be face to face during the summit.

The expectation would be to have Octave packaged as a snap and available through the Snap Store.

Beyond that, we would love to work with you guys - and I hope this can be a very nice two-way cooperation - the store provides visibility and easy access to software, you get metrics that can tell you how Octave is trending, we can promote Octave on our blog, in our social media, and from the end-user point, they don't need to worry about satisfying specific distro dependencies - if it has snap support, it will run Octave.

We don't want this to be a one-off checklist thing. Sure we have a vested interest, but the primary focus in having high-quality, top-notch, useful software in the store. Octave is definitely one of the most prominent libre tools in the scientific community, and it would really nice to have it included.

Cheers,
Igor

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 2:40 PM Doug Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

DASCertificate for 206392

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
Hi.

On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 10:37 +0100, Igor Ljubuncic wrote:
> Summit wise, we are running a Snapcraft Summit, taking place in
> downtown Montreal, Canada from June 11th to 13th 2019.

I'm in Mtl too. I think I might be able to attend.

I've been semi-inactive from Octave for a while, but I still know how
to build it. I think I may be able to help.

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Igor Ljubuncic
Jordi, that sounds awesome!

I will send an email to someone on our team who manages the event organization, and introduce you, and she can help with any logistics.

Cheers,
Igor

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

On Wed, 2019-04-03 at 10:37 +0100, Igor Ljubuncic wrote:
> Summit wise, we are running a Snapcraft Summit, taking place in
> downtown Montreal, Canada from June 11th to 13th 2019.

I'm in Mtl too. I think I might be able to attend.

I've been semi-inactive from Octave for a while, but I still know how
to build it. I think I may be able to help.

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Mike Miller-4
On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 15:28:16 +0100, Igor Ljubuncic wrote:
> Jordi, that sounds awesome!
>
> I will send an email to someone on our team who manages the event
> organization, and introduce you, and she can help with any logistics.

I'm part of the effort to maintain the Octave flatpak app [1], so you
can ask me for help or draw from the flatpak recipe as needed, and I'd
be happy to help maintain the Octave snap after it's established.

I'm curious about snapcraft infrastructure, how the snap is maintained,
tested, etc, and I think having Octave available as both flatpak and
snap is a really good thing.

[1]: https://github.com/flathub/org.octave.Octave

Cheers,

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2019-04-03 9:32 a.m., Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 15:28:16 +0100, Igor Ljubuncic wrote:
>> Jordi, that sounds awesome!
>>
>> I will send an email to someone on our team who manages the event
>> organization, and introduce you, and she can help with any logistics.
>
> I'm part of the effort to maintain the Octave flatpak app [1], so you
> can ask me for help or draw from the flatpak recipe as needed, and I'd
> be happy to help maintain the Octave snap after it's established.
>
> I'm curious about snapcraft infrastructure, how the snap is maintained,
> tested, etc, and I think having Octave available as both flatpak and
> snap is a really good thing.

If it were possible to have both Mike and Jordi physically at the event,
then good things would surely follow!

best,
Colin

On 2019-04-03 9:32 a.m., Mike Miller wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 15:28:16 +0100, Igor Ljubuncic wrote:
>> Jordi, that sounds awesome!
>>
>> I will send an email to someone on our team who manages the event
>> organization, and introduce you, and she can help with any logistics.
>
> I'm part of the effort to maintain the Octave flatpak app [1], so you
> can ask me for help or draw from the flatpak recipe as needed, and I'd
> be happy to help maintain the Octave snap after it's established.
>
> I'm curious about snapcraft infrastructure, how the snap is maintained,
> tested, etc, and I think having Octave available as both flatpak and
> snap is a really good thing.

[doing it again with reply-to-all]

Colin

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Igor Ljubuncic
Hello all,

Colin, I like this idea a lot!

I am just checking if we can get an extra "seat" for you guys.

Cheers,
Igor

best,
Colin

Re: Sponsored invitation to Snapcraft Summit Montreal, June 2019

Igor Ljubuncic
Hello Mike, Jade,

Checking all done on my end, and it's looking good. Mike, we'd be delighted to have you over!

Jade, please meet Mike, an Octave developer who will be joining us in Montreal. Mike, Jade will help you with the accommodations and flight arrangements.

best,
Colin

DASCertificate for 206392

I'll be there next week, doesn't look like Mike is coming.

On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 20:39:48 -0400, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I'll be there next week, doesn't look like Mike is coming.

I'll be there.