Suggestion: auto file extension

Eyal Doron
Hi,

  In MATLAB, if you save a binary file, it automatically is given the
extension .mat, and likewise the extension is appended before a load.
In Octave, no file extension is assumed. I think it would be convenient,
and also more Matlab compatible, to have this possibility in Octave as
well. It could pertain to mat-binary files only, or maybe to other
formats as well (with different extensions). It should moreover be
optional, because I'm sure some people in the Unix world won't like it...

Comments?

Eyal Doron