Symbolic Error

harish3679
Hi Guys,

I am getting this error while using sqrt(sym(3))

Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: 'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.

error: Cannot run the Python executable "python3"
    Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.
error: called from
    assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 61 column 7
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 79 column 5
    python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
    pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
    double_to_sym_heuristic at line 46 column 7
    sym at line 379 column 13

Kindly, let know how I can fix this issue

Best,
Harish

Re: Symbolic Error

nrjank
Administrator
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 4:15 AM harish3679 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I am getting this error while using sqrt(sym(3))

Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: 'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external
command,
operable program or batch file.

safe to assume python worked fine before?  did you recently update your version of symbolic to 2.9.0?

It appears that there was recently an update to have symbolic call 'python3' instead of 'python'.

see the following two discussions (unfortunately it split across maintainers and help lists):

try running:

>> system('python3')

and

>> system('python')

if the first gives you an error and the second one does not, for now you may need to run the command:

>> setenv PYTHON python

before running any symbolic package commands.  I added it to the .octaverc file (startup commands) in my user profile.

Re: Symbolic Error

Mike Miller-4
On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 03:14:56 -0500, harish3679 wrote:
> I am getting this error while using sqrt(sym(3))
>
> Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: 'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> error: Cannot run the Python executable "python3"
>     Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.

Did you try running "sympref diagnose"? It has a lot of helpful
information.

Re: Symbolic Error

harish3679
Hey thanks,

I did its the recent version. However though those commands both show error.
Do I need to install sympy aswell to get it work?

here is my path have no clue whats going wrong

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python37-32\python.exe;C:\Program
Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\2.0\bin\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL
SDK\2.0\bin\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\GTK2-Runtime\bin

Best,
Harish

Re: Symbolic Error

harish3679

Re: Symbolic Error

nrjank
On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM harish3679 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey thanks,

I did its the recent version. However though those commands both show error.
Do I need to install sympy aswell to get it work?

Did you have symbolic running previously? Symbolic has always needed python and sympy.  I thought the package shouldn't even have installed without being able to find python.

What OS are you using?\

See the Installation section for your OS: https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki

Re: Symbolic Error

harish3679
Hi,

I am using windows 7. No haven't used symbolic previously in this PC nor anywhere

Best,
Harish

--
Harish Kumar

M: +91 9488309620, Whatsapp: +91 9944308505

E: [hidden email]

15/36, Ramanna Layout 2, Bharathi Park Road 2,

Saibaba Colony, Coimbatore -641 043. Tamil Nadu, India

Re: Symbolic Error

nrjank
Administrator
On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 12:24 PM Harishkumar U <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am using windows 7. No haven't used symbolic previously in this PC nor anywhere

Ok, that's a very important detail. Were you able to install the package without Python?  I thought it gives an error.  (Colin, is that normal?)

 Symbolic package is an interface wrapper to Python/Sympy. Pleases follow the directions here:

The simplest method is to use the bundled package. download it and do a manual package install.  (pkg install <filename>)

If you want a separate python install on your machine, follow the directions for either Anaconda or Python.