Symbolic installation Mac problem

이태훈
Hi,
I use Octave 4.4.1 in a MacBook Pro . I’m totally new to Octave.
I want to install Symbolic on the Octave, but every time I enter "pkg install -forge symbolic”
I get this message:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_NUMERIC = "C",
        LC_TIME = "C",
        LANG = "ko-Kore_KR.UTF-8"
Like the attached image.
Can you help me to solve this problem?
And please tell me how to install Symbolic in Octave in "Mac OS”.

Re: Symbolic installation Mac problem

Andrew Janke-2

On 4/14/20 3:34 PM, 이태훈 wrote:

> Hi,
> I use Octave 4.4.1 in a MacBook Pro . I’m totally new to Octave.
> I want to install Symbolic on the Octave, but every time I enter "pkg
> install -forge symbolic”
> I get this message:
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LC_NUMERIC = "C",
>         LC_TIME = "C",
>         LANG = "ko-Kore_KR.UTF-8"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
> Like the attached image.
> Can you help me to solve this problem?
> And please tell me how to install Symbolic in Octave in "Mac OS”.

Hi there,

Thanks for including a detailed problem description.

"pkg install -forge symbolic" should work. It sounds like either you
have a configuration issue with your machine's localization settings, or
Octave and some of the libraries it uses are not able to handle your
particular locale.

That value of "ko-Kore_KR.UTF-8" for LANG is surprising to me. That
doesn't look like a standard locale definition. I would expect something
more like the shorter "ko_KR.UTF-8" which is just the two-letter codes
for the language and country.

Are you running Octave from the command line or as a GUI? How did you
install Octave?

Do you set $LANG in any of your shell startup scripts, like ~/profile or
~/.bashrc?

Cheers,
Andrew