Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
Hi folks,

A new release of the Symbolic package [1] is out, version 2.9.0, with
contributions by Mike Miller, Olaf Till, and myself.

A summary of important user-visible changes is available online [2].

best,
Colin

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/symbolic/
[2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/symbolic/NEWS.html

--
Colin Macdonald
Associate Professor
Dept of Math, UBC

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

nrjank
Administrator
I see it in the news that the default python interpreter is now python3.

I have python 3.7.0 installed on my windows system (using default install parameters), my understanding is that the default configuration system call is just 'python':

after a pkg update,  I get:

------------------
>> pkg load symbolic
>> syms b
'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Symbolic pkg v2.9.0: error: Cannot run the Python executable "python3"
    Try "sympref diagnose" for more information.
error: called from
    assert_have_python_and_sympy at line 61 column 7
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 79 column 5
    python_ipc_driver at line 62 column 15
    pycall_sympy__ at line 163 column 11
    valid_sym_assumptions at line 38 column 10
    assumptions at line 82 column 7
    syms at line 97 column 13
>> system('python3')
'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
ans =  1
>> system('python')
Python 3.7.0 (v3.7.0:1bf9cc5093, Jun 27 2018, 04:06:47) [MSC v.1914 32 bit (Intel)] on win32

----------------------

I assume the python-bundle for windows will be just fine. But anyone with a windows python install using the base package is going to need to make a change somewhere after updating to 2.9.0, (assuming my setup isn't unique)

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

nrjank
Administrator
On 2020-03-11 3:52 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> I see it in the news that the default python interpreter is now python3.
>
> I have python 3.7.0 installed on my windows system (using default
> install parameters), my understanding is that the default configuration
> system call is just 'python':

what OS are you on?  I believe the Python community recommends the
binary be called "python3".

At least on Fedora, there was quite an effort to not have software
calling "python" but rather specify python2 or python3...

Windows 10. Used the vanilla Python installer for 3.7.  realize stable is now 3.9.1 but I'm on a managed system so I'm out of date .not sure if that change was made for windows.

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 3:52 p.m., Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
> I assume the python-bundle for windows will be just fine.

The bundle package still ships and users Python 2.7.

This will become a [problem
soon](https://github.com/manthey/pyexe/issues/25) because the next
version of SymPy will not support Python 2.

Colin

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

nrjank
It would be helpful if someone on Win10 and Anaconda can check what
cmd.exe says for these two commands:

where python
where python3

If Anaconda only provides python and not python3 its clear we should
default to python...

I don't have it but the latest docs on the anaconda site say to use 'python' on windows, mac, or linux.

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

GoSim
Thanks! this is a very useful package that I often use.

Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html

Re: Symbolic package 2.9.0

Colin Macdonald-2
On 2020-03-11 8:25 p.m., JohnD wrote:
> The next mxe installer for octave will have a version on python already installed as well as the symbolic package

Thanks for this.  Will this work by including a full python 3.x?

Colin