Symbolic package for Octave

Pervin, William
I want to have my students use Octave in my Linear Algebra class and not have to buy MATLAB.
So far I am able to install Octave so they should be able to do it also. We all use WINDOWS!
I want to install the Symbolic package and don't know how. I have downloaded a file named:
"symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" and put it everywhere I can find (octave,share,packages,octave-packages, etc.)
and then do a "pkg install symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" as the documentation seems to say. I get the
message "warning: file symbolic-23.2.1.tar.gz" does not exist". What is the correct, detailed way
to install the Symbolic package? BTW, I don't even know what a .tar.gz file is (maybe zipped?)
and I obviously don't know where to put it. Please give me some detailed instructions written
for an Idiot.

Thanks,

Dr. William J. Pervin

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics,
Electrical and Computer Engineering,
and Computer Science
University of Texas at Dallas

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

nrjank
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Pervin, William <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to have my students use Octave in my Linear Algebra class and not have to buy MATLAB.
> So far I am able to install Octave so they should be able to do it also. We all use WINDOWS!
> I want to install the Symbolic package and don't know how. I have downloaded a file named:
> "symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" and put it everywhere I can find (octave,share,packages,octave-packages, etc.)
> and then do a "pkg install symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz" as the documentation seems to say. I get the
> message "warning: file symbolic-23.2.1.tar.gz" does not exist". What is the correct, detailed way
> to install the Symbolic package? BTW, I don't even know what a .tar.gz file is (maybe zipped?)
> and I obviously don't know where to put it. Please give me some detailed instructions written
> for an Idiot.

First, you should be aware that the symbolic package may not yet give the level of Matlab compatibility that you get from the numerical side of Octave. I do see there have been quite a number of recent updates in the past few months, so hopefully this is improving. I know in the past help list emails have pointed users to Maxima or other Computer Algebra Software when symbolic solution is necessary. You may just have to try it out and see if it's sufficient for your class.

Second, the symbolic package depends on Python (and SymPy), and looks for a python installation when setting up the package.

If you know you don't have Python, the package author has an alternative 'bundled' version you can get from:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases

The file you would want is symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.1.zip

The package install procedure is the same for either one.

All that said, if you're getting a 'does not exist' error, likely Octave is not looking at the location where you saved the package, or there's a typo when you type the command. You can pretty much save the tar.gz file anywhere you want (it's a compressed file, like Zip, and Octave knows how to deal with it).

You can use the folder tree in the upper left of the Octave GUI to navigate to where you saved the file. alternatively you can use the cd command from the command line to get to that directory, pwd will tell you where you currently are, and dir will show the files in your currently location.

Once you get there, you should be able to type (or copy/paste):
pkg install -verbose symbolic-2.2.1.tar.gz
OR
pkg install -verbose symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.1.zip

depending on which one you need. note you can use TAB to autocomplete file & command names.

If something here isn't working for you, write back and let us know which part gives you problems.

Nick J.

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

rocketsound
I'd suggest you to follow these steps since they include using package managers so it's way more easy for you to get updates on your system at a later point of time:

1) Go to https://www.python.org/ and download Python 2.7.9 for Windows then install it
2) Open a terminal with admin rights (To do so open the start menu, enter cmd, right-click the entry, and select "Run as administrator", confirm the following dialog)
3) Type pip install sympy (FYI: pip is the official package manager of Python and it does all the magic for you. In this case it installs sympy, a Python library that the symbolic toolbox depends on.)
4) Next start Octave and type pkg install -forge -auto symbolic
5) (Type pkg help to learn more about Octave's package manager)

That's it.

In Octave you can type pkg upgrade from time to time and if there is an update for the symbolic toolbox Octave will automatically install it for you.

You can follow the development of the symbolic toolbox here https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy, the main package maintainer is very active.

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

rocketsound
A correction: You need Python in version 2.7.x, the last number doesn't matter for you ;). I just checked the Python website and noticed that 2.7.10 is the most recent version now.

RE: Symbolic package for Octave

Pervin, William
I still have no idea of how to install packages. I have downloaded
4.0.0 and it works. I can't get anything "forge" working and have
not gotten any help yet. As I asked before, please give explicit
instructions as to a child. Thanks.

Dr. William J. Pervin

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics,
Electrical and Computer Engineering,
and Computer Science
University of Texas at Dallas

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

nrjank
assuming you're

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM, Pervin, William <[hidden email]> wrote:
I still have no idea of how to install packages. I have downloaded
4.0.0 and it works. I can't get anything "forge" working and have
not gotten any help yet. As I asked before, please give explicit
instructions as to a child. Thanks.

Dr. William J. Pervin

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics,
Electrical and Computer Engineering,
and Computer Science
University of Texas at Dallas

Did you not get any of our previous emails? If so, did any of those things work? Having gotten no response, I assumed you had gotten things working and moved on.

You can see the emails here:
I'll follow up with another reply specific to your latest request, but please send me and the list a direct email so we can be sure you are getting these messages.

Nick Jankowski

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ok, after installing Octave 4.0.0 for Windows, you need to run the Package setup script.  There's a README.html file in the octave-4.0.0 folder with the following instructions:

------------------------

Included Octave Forge Packages

A number of Octave-Forge packages have been included with Octave, however they must be installed in order to use them.

To install:

  • Start Octave and then open the build_packages.m file found in the src folder where Octave was installed.
  • Run the script build_packages.m to build and install the packages.
Installation is a one-time procedure. After installation packages must still be loaded in order to use them with the pkg load PACKAGENAME command.

---------------------------

So, after opening Octave, use the folder tree on the upper left to navigate to the octave-4.0.0 install  folder, then the src folder under that.  You should see the build_packages.m file in that same file/folder list. right click that file and select Run.

That will take a little while. But this will install the base Octave Forge packages.  I don't recall if this gets the latest versions from the octave forge website.  You can ensure they're all up-to-date by typing:

>> pkg update

again, this might take a while.

SYMBOLIC:

now, symbolic is something different. it depends on you having installed the correct version of Python and SymPy.  If you want, you can instead manually install a 'bundled' version of the symbolic package (this includes a stand-alone python, you don't have to do anything special).

You can get the bundled version from
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases/latest

download symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

You can save this file anywhere, you just need to be able to get there inside of octave to issue the install command.  I saved mine under C:/Octave/

Then, use the folder tree in the upper left again, and navigate to that folder, or wherever else you might have decided to save it. You should see the symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip file in that file/folder list.

type
>> pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

(the -auto will make the package load for you every time you open octave. I assume from your initial email that this would be desired. leave out the -auto if you'd rather load it manually every time.)

if you get a 'not found' error, it means Octave's active directory is not where you saved the file. you can use the file/folder window or:

Use the CD command to change to the directory with the file. E.g., if the file is in the C:/Octave directory, you can type:

>> cd c:\octave

then,

>> pwd

will print the current working directory, and

>> dir

will show you the files in that directory.  You need to get to where dir shows you the symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip file.  Then the pkg install command will work.

Please email back verifying receipt of this email, and later let us know if you get stuck an any particular part.  I'd like to see you able to make this work for your class.

Nick J.

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 07/06/15 18:17, Pervin, William wrote:
> I still have no idea of how to install packages. I have downloaded
> 4.0.0 and it works. I can't get anything "forge" working and have
> not gotten any help yet. As I asked before, please give explicit
> instructions as to a child. Thanks.
>
> Dr. William J. Pervin

My computer has a network connection.  I start octave

octave:1> help pkg
octave:2> pkg -forge install geometry
octave:3> pkg list
octave:4> pkg load geometry
octave:4> s=sym('s');

Tom Dean

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

nrjank
hmm... that's odd. the bundled version should include both the Python and the Sympy addin that you need. You shouldn't have to do anything other than run the Octave pkg install command.

Once you run the pkg install command, you don't even need the .zip file anymore. the installer should have put all the files where you need them. Just confirming that the file you downloaded was symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip ?

it's possible it's conflicted about something from previous install attempts. since it's Windows, does anything change when you exit and re-open Octave?  Had you tried installing Python separate from the symbolic package before?  Maybe there's an existing setting confusing octave?

Maybe try:
pkg uninstall symbolic

make sure that there are no symbolic-x.y.z folders left under
C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages

(yours might not be under C:\Octave if that's not where you put it)

if so, delete it.

then from inside Octave re-run:

pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

Then try the command again. That folder with all of the packages should have a /symbolic-2.2.2  folder.  There should be a /bin folder with py.exe and a sympy folder under that.

the output I get on my first call to symbolic is the following:

>> pkg load symbolic
>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 9100) might appear next.

OctSymPy: Communication established.  SymPy v0.7.6.
Python 2.7.9 (default, Dec 10 2014, 12:24:55) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

n Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Pervin, William <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did what you told me - THANKS AGAIN! - and seem to have symbolic
zip file installed (with -auto). Tried it and got:

>> x=sym('x')
OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see sou
rce.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug
#43036
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 13412) might appear
next.
extractblock: read an error back from python
str1 =
<class 'ImportError'>

str2 =
No module named 'sympy'

error: error reading back from python
error: called from
    extractblock>process_item at line 166 column 7
    extractblock>helper at line 51 column 14
    extractblock at line 13 column 8
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 82 column 7
    python_ipc_driver at line 30 column 13
    python_cmd at line 137 column 9
    sym at line 359 column 5

Am I supposed to unzip this file before using it? It looks like a Python
error message to me.

Dr. William J. Pervin

Professor Emeritus of Mathematics,
Electrical and Computer Engineering,
and Computer Science
University of Texas at Dallas

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

tmacchant
Maybe try:
pkg uninstall symbolic

make sure that there are no symbolic-x.y.z folders left under
C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages

(yours might not be under C:\Octave if that's not where you put it)

if so, delete it.

then from inside Octave re-run:

pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

Then try the command again. That folder with all of the packages should have a /symbolic-2.2.2  folder.

I am followed the instruction the above.

>> pkg install -verbose symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

and restart octave

>> pkg load symbolic

           symbolic *|   2.2.2 | C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\symbolic-2.2.2

>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 5328) might appear next.
extractblock: read an error back from python
str1 =
<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>

str2 =
No module named sympy

error: error reading back from python
error: called from
    extractblock>process_item at line 166 column 7
    extractblock>helper at line 51 column 14
    extractblock at line 13 column 8
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 82 column 7
    python_ipc_driver at line 30 column 13
    python_cmd at line 137 column 9
    sym at line 359 column 5
    syms at line 158 column 9
error: evaluating argument list element number 3
error: called from
    syms at line 158 column 9

Tatsuro

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

tmacchant
Instruction from rocketsound

1) Go to https://www.python.org/ and download Python 2.7.9 for Windows then install it
2) Open a terminal with admin rights (To do so open the start menu, enter cmd, right-click the entry, and select "Run as administrator", confirm the following dialog)
3) Type pip install sympy (FYI: pip is the official package manager of Python and it does all the magic for you. In this case it installs sympy, a Python library that the symbolic toolbox depends on.)
4) Next start Octave and type pkg install -forge -auto symbolic
5) (Type pkg help to learn more about Octave's package manager)

I have followed the instructions.  One thing is added
I add the path to C:\Python27 and C:\Python27\Scripts by control panel before pip install.

On octave
pkg install -forge -auto -verbose symbolic

          symbolic *|   2.2.2 | C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\symbolic-2.2.2

>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 8008) might appear next.

OctSymPy: Communication established.  SymPy v0.7.6.
Python 2.7.10 (default, May 23 2015, 09:40:32) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]

Seem to work

Tatsuro

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

Doug Stewart-4

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM, tmacchant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe try:
pkg uninstall symbolic

make sure that there are no symbolic-x.y.z folders left under
C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages

(yours might not be under C:\Octave if that's not where you put it)

if so, delete it.

then from inside Octave re-run:

pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

Then try the command again. That folder with all of the packages should have
a /symbolic-2.2.2  folder.

I am followed the instruction the above.

>> pkg install -verbose symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

and restart octave

>> pkg load symbolic

           symbolic *|   2.2.2 |
C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\symbolic-2.2.2

>> syms x
OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 5328) might appear next.
extractblock: read an error back from python
str1 =
<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>

str2 =
No module named sympy

error: error reading back from python
error: called from
    extractblock>process_item at line 166 column 7
    extractblock>helper at line 51 column 14
    extractblock at line 13 column 8
    python_ipc_popen2 at line 82 column 7
    python_ipc_driver at line 30 column 13
    python_cmd at line 137 column 9
    sym at line 359 column 5
    syms at line 158 column 9
error: evaluating argument list element number 3
error: called from
    syms at line 158 column 9

Tatsuro

totally separate from octave---->
Do you have python installed on your computer?  --> Yes
Do you have sympi installed on your computer? -->  ??????

--
DASCertificate for 206392

Re: Symbolic package for Octave

tmacchant
>On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:22 AM, tmacchant <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>Maybe try:
>>pkg uninstall symbolic
>>
>>make sure that there are no symbolic-x.y.z folders left under
>>C:\Octave\octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages
>>
>>(yours might not be under C:\Octave if that's not where you put it)
>>
>>if so, delete it.
>>
>>then from inside Octave re-run:
>>
>>pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip
>>
>>Then try the command again. That folder with all of the packages should have
>>a /symbolic-2.2.2  folder.
>>*******************************************************************************
>>
>>I am followed the instruction the above.

>>and restart octave

>>           symbolic *|   2.2.2 |
>>C:\octave\Octave-4.0.0\share\octave\packages\symbolic-2.2.2

>>OctSymPy v2.2.2: this is free software without warranty, see source.
>>Initializing communication with SymPy using a popen2() pipe.
>>Detected Windows: using "winwrapy.bat" to workaround Octave bug #43036
>>Some output from the Python subprocess (pid 5328) might appear next.
>>extractblock: read an error back from python
>>str1 =
>><type 'exceptions.ImportError'>
>>
>>str2 =
>>No module named sympy
>>
>>error: error reading back from python
>>error: called from
>>    extractblock>process_item at line 166 column 7
>>    extractblock>helper at line 51 column 14
>>    extractblock at line 13 column 8
>>    python_ipc_popen2 at line 82 column 7
>>    python_ipc_driver at line 30 column 13
>>    python_cmd at line 137 column 9
>>    sym at line 359 column 5
>>    syms at line 158 column 9
>>error: evaluating argument list element number 3
>>error: called from
>>    syms at line 158 column 9
>>

>>Tatsuro
>>

>>--
>>
>totally separate from octave---->
>Do you have python installed on your computer?  --> Yes
>
>Do you have sympi installed on your computer? -->  ??????

Nick J wrote

******************************
If you know you don't have Python, the package author has an alternative 'bundled' version you can get from:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/releases

The file you would want is symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.1.zip

symbolic-win-py-bundle-x.x.x.zip

includes both python and sympi.

******************************

For Nick J,
>>pkg install -auto symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

seems to work flawlessly.

But for my PC (win 7 64; perhaps windows version itself is irrelevant),
the above does not work.

As I wrote
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Symbolic-package-for-Octave-tp4670576p4671655.html

If I install python and sympy externally and set appropriate PATH and
I install symbolic package in usual way (pkg install -forge symbolic),
the symbolic package works without problem.

I do not know why I and the the person who made the original post failed
by Nick J instruction while Nick seemed not to have problem with symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip

Tatsuro

On Jul 15, 2015 7:35 PM, "Tatsuro MATSUOKA" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not know why I and the the person who made the original post failed
> by Nick J instruction while Nick seemed not to have problem with symbolic-win-py-bundle-2.2.2.zip
>
> Tatsuro

Sorry, hadn't followed the conversation recently.

I had followed up with the original poster offline, and he was successful in setting up the bundled version using the earlier instructions. He had Python without SymPy installed separately from the bundle (came with his Raspberry Pi development kit). Apparently even installing the bundled package, Octave still linked to the external copy and therefore couldn't find SymPy.  As he wasn't using it, he uninstalled the package, uninstalled all other copies of Python on the PC, and then reinstalled the bundled package.  after that, the Symbolic Package started perfectly.

So, not sure if there's any better way to handle looking for Python/Sympy.  Of course, most people with a separate Python would likely be better off just installing Sympy there. In his case, since he wanted to set up a process easy for his students to set up quickly and follow he preferred the bundled package.

Nick J.