Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

Carnë Draug
Hi everyone

I think it's time we start thinking about and planning OctConf 2016.
Is anyone interested in hosting it this year?

Carnë

Re: Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I think it's time we start thinking about and planning OctConf 2016.
> Is anyone interested in hosting it this year?
>
> Carnë

Is there a date period already decided?

Re: Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

Carlo de Falco-2

On 24 Mar 2016, at 12:40, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a date period already decided?

AFAIK, No, that is to be discussed too.
But probably the main organizer should be chosen first...

c.

Re: Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

Rik-4
On 03/24/2016 05:05 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Re: Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016
From:
Carlo De Falco [hidden email]
Date:
03/24/2016 04:44 AM
To:
Juan Pablo Carbajal [hidden email]
CC:
octave maintainers mailing list [hidden email]
Message:
5

On 24 Mar 2016, at 12:40, Juan Pablo Carbajal [hidden email] wrote:

> Is there a date period already decided?
AFAIK, No, that is to be discussed too.
But probably the main organizer should be chosen first...

c.

And for a little more color, OctConf has been alternating between North America and Europe each year.  However, the current center of gravity for Octave programmers is in Europe so we would like to repeat and have OctConf2016 in Europe again.  We have usually held these meetings at universities or academic institutes, but I could also imagine a private setting if a company wanted to donate a room to convene in and Internet access.  As guests, we're really not that difficult or demanding.

--Rik

Re: Time to start thinking about OctConf 2016

John Swensen-3

> On Mar 23, 2016, at 7:19 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone
>
> I think it's time we start thinking about and planning OctConf 2016.
> Is anyone interested in hosting it this year?
>
> Carnë

I could look into having it here at Washington State University. But, as Rik said, it seems there have been more attendees from Europe recently so maybe inertia should be considered and it be held in Europe again. Plus, Pullman Washington is a little off the beaten path. Let me know if this is of interest and I will start talking to people in the College of Engineering about what I can get them to contribute above and beyond conference rooms.

John S.