US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

Brefo, James [USA]

Hello,

I am contacting you on behalf of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs with questions regarding ONE of your products/technologies which is being requested by one of our facilities.  Your email address was given as the point of contact, so your help is kindly appreciated.

I am currently researching your product and your company, and would please like some clarification on the following product:

GNU Octave

In order for us to update this technology as soon as possible, it must first be vetted (an analysis of the product must be completed for the One-VA Technical Reference Model (TRM)).

Can you please answer the below questions for the above product and provide any user/installation guides that are available?

Questions are as follows:

1)  Are there any software Components needed for this technology?

i.e Modules and/or applications that cannot be downloaded separately; consisting of utilities that are not standalone, but need the technology to work.

2)  What kind of Licensing is needed, if any?

i.e Is it a commercial license, freeware, open source?

3)  What Operating Systems are supported? Please list server/client.

i.e. OS: AIX, HP-UX, OpenVMS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Solaris, Windows (client), Windows (server), z/OS, OS X, iSO, Android, z/VM, CentOS Linux, Oracle Linux.

4)  Are there any Runtime Dependencies (system requirements)? (software only)

  i.e. A dependency is a technology this is needed by this technology that must be installed separately such as .NET Framework, Microsoft Internet Explorer, MS SQL Server Database, JRE etc.

5)  Are there any Companion Technologies associated with this product?

i.e. Other technologies that are packaged with this product (that can be downloaded and used separately) as well as any technical standard that this product supports (e.g. HTTP, XML, PDF, CSV, TCP/IP, S-HTTP, HL7, DICOM etc.).

6)  What are the Version Numbers and Major Release Dates for this product?

Please include VERSION numbers and associated major RELEASE Dates with Month/Day/Year within the last 3 years.

7) Does this technology store any data, and if so, where does it store data? Is data stored locally as files on the user’s hard drive or in a database? What information/data is stored? Can you please explain the flow of data (i.e. how data is sent to storage) and the database details (i.e. the type of database)? Is data encryption supported? If so, what type of encryption?

8) Where is this technology hosted? On VA premises/VA owned servers? Your data center? Please provide details.

9) Does this technology include cloud-based functionality? If yes, please provide cloud details.

I look forward to hearing from you soon!  Please feel free to reach out to me via e-mail or via my cell at (number), as well.  Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,

--

James Brefo

Senior Consultant | Staff Technologist

Health Group

m: 240.314.5956

[hidden email]

Rockville, MD

Booz | Allen | Hamilton

BoozAllen.com

Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

Andreas Weber-6
Am 03.07.19 um 18:53 schrieb Brefo, James [USA]:
> I am currently researching your product and your company, and would
> please like some clarification on the following product:

This is a public help mailing-list for GNU Octave so this is just my
personal opinion: Do you really expect someone else to do this work for
you? Most of the questions can be answered by looking on
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/

If you have specific questions (not your general purpose template you've
posted last time) feel free to ask them.

-- Andy

RE: [External] Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

Brefo, James [USA]
Good morning Andy,

I hope this email finds you well. I assure that I have done my due diligence and combed through all the documents on the website you provided prior to reaching out. The template was a formality and was also to confirm the information/gather more information if something was not mentioned in the documents, so no I do not expect someone to do this work for me, I was hoping that the experts could provide more knowledge on the software. With that being said, I was unable to find whether or not this software saves data/uses a database and if so, which one does it use if you know. Thank you for your time and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

James Brefo

Am 03.07.19 um 18:53 schrieb Brefo, James [USA]:
> I am currently researching your product and your company, and would
> please like some clarification on the following product:

This is a public help mailing-list for GNU Octave so this is just my personal opinion: Do you really expect someone else to do this work for you? Most of the questions can be answered by looking on https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.gnu.org_software_octave_&d=DwIC-g&c=f4NRRID3zFYDyClb0wZXwA&r=m08h1LB4xTRpZ--zkkI8I-DkXd8lEnKSZ0W5EF4_0B4&m=VR-QXP0LBA23pesazyVT6CmFYtrqRYH5JmS4oABfo10&s=Wc9XwSAUw4twEdnxlbIHJ7BGfmOm9E-hYtq_m-m7Sng&e=

Am 05.07.19 um 18:00 schrieb Brefo, James [USA]:
> With that being said, I was unable to find whether or not this software saves data/uses a database and if so, which one does it use if you know.

GNU Octave (without forge packages which can be thought as plugins or
extension packages) is able to read write various file formats which
could be considered as some kind of simple "database"

There is also a package to access PostgreSQL databases:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/database/index.html

And I think I've seen some wrappers for MySQL/MariaDB as well.

-- Andy

Re: [External] Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

John Frain

John C Frain, Ph.D.

Economics Department             3 Aranleigh Park
Trinity College Dublin                 Rathfarnham
College Green                           Dublin 14
Dublin 2                                    Ireland
Ireland

On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 18:54, Andreas Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 05.07.19 um 18:00 schrieb Brefo, James [USA]:
> With that being said, I was unable to find whether or not this software saves data/uses a database and if so, which one does it use if you know.

GNU Octave (without forge packages which can be thought as plugins or
extension packages) is able to read write various file formats which
could be considered as some kind of simple "database"

There is also a package to access PostgreSQL databases:
https://octave.sourceforge.io/database/index.html

And I think I've seen some wrappers for MySQL/MariaDB as well.

-- Andy

Octave is a high level programming language.  It definitely does save data.  It can also interface with many other programming languages.  It would therefore be possible (perhaps with some difficulty) to enable Octave to ling to any data base system.

As far as I know when you download the Octave install program the octave download site does not keep any record or the details of the person downloading the program. At least, one is not asked about any such data.

Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

nrjank
James, as a user I'll attempt to provide some answers based on my knowledge and what I've had to tell my employer prior to usage approval. inline below.

There's not really a company to reach out to here. As listed on the website under Commercial support (https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html), the closest thing is probably John W. Eaton Consulting, Inc. (http://jweaton.org).  But Octave is primarily volunteer developed free open source software, and this is a volunteer run help list.

GNU Octave

In order for us to update this technology as soon as possible, it must first be vetted (an analysis of the product must be completed for the One-VA Technical Reference Model (TRM)).

Can you please answer the below questions for the above product and provide any user/installation guides that are available?

Questions are as follows:

1)  Are there any software Components needed for this technology?

i.e Modules and/or applications that cannot be downloaded separately; consisting of utilities that are not standalone, but need the technology to work.

Octave, as offered via the octave.org website requires a PC with the Linux, MacOS, BSD, or Windows operating systems. Windows installation does not require any 3rd party software, although some optional functions can take advantage of installed Java and python software programs, as examples.

Octave is free software under the GNU General Public License. see https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/license.html

3)  What Operating Systems are supported? Please list server/client.

i.e. OS: AIX, HP-UX, OpenVMS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Solaris, Windows (client), Windows (server), z/OS, OS X, iSO, Android, z/VM, CentOS Linux, Oracle Linux.

see 1.  Current windows versions support 64 ad 32 bit Windows versions back to XP, although some minor functionality is lost under XP.  Other people will have to report specific Linux and Mac OS support.

4)  Are there any Runtime Dependencies (system requirements)? (software only)

  i.e. A dependency is a technology this is needed by this technology that must be installed separately such as .NET Framework, Microsoft Internet Explorer, MS SQL Server Database, JRE etc.

Windows - no

5)  Are there any Companion Technologies associated with this product?

i.e. Other technologies that are packaged with this product (that can be downloaded and used separately) as well as any technical standard that this product supports (e.g. HTTP, XML, PDF, CSV, TCP/IP, S-HTTP, HL7, DICOM etc.).

The Octave programming environment supports Packages to extend its functional capability. The ones maintained by octave developers are called Octave-Forge, and can be found at https://octave.sourceforge.io/

As a programming environment different functions in Octave can support input and output in many formats, including plaintext formats (CSV, XML, HTTP), and others. A comprehensive list is not possible.

6)  What are the Version Numbers and Major Release Dates for this product?

Please include VERSION numbers and associated major RELEASE Dates with Month/Day/Year within the last 3 years.

The current major release is Octave v5.1.0, released on 1 Mar 2019.
previous releases:

v4.4.0 on 30 Apr 2018
v4.2.0 on 14 Nov 2016

7) Does this technology store any data, and if so, where does it store data? Is data stored locally as files on the user’s hard drive or in a database? What information/data is stored? Can you please explain the flow of data (i.e. how data is sent to storage) and the database details (i.e. the type of database)? Is data encryption supported? If so, what type of encryption?

As a programming language, any stored data is custom to the activities of the user. A user may create a program that saves any manner of data, anywhere he/she wants.
The program internally maintains a history of issued command line commands, as well as saved user preferences, stored unencrypted on the local hard drive. If this is data you need details about someone else may be able to provide their location.

8) Where is this technology hosted? On VA premises/VA owned servers? Your data center? Please provide details.

This program is typically installed on a computer local to the end user, although it may be installed and accessed on a remote server similar to any end user application.

9) Does this technology include cloud-based functionality? If yes, please provide cloud details.

no

I look forward to hearing from you soon!  Please feel free to reach out to me via e-mail or via my cell at (number), as well.  Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,

--

James Brefo

Senior Consultant | Staff Technologist

Health Group

m: 240.314.5956

[hidden email]

Rockville, MD

Booz | Allen | Hamilton

BoozAllen.com

RE: [External] Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

Brefo, James [USA]

Good morning Nicholas,

I hope this email finds you well. Thank you so much for your assistance with this, the information you provided was more than helpful!!

Regards,

James Brefo

RE: [External] Re: US Department of Veterans Affairs use of GNU Octave

Brefo, James [USA]
Good morning Andy,

Thank for your help with this!

Regards,

James

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__octave.sourceforge.io_database_index.html&d=DwICaQ&c=f4NRRID3zFYDyClb0wZXwA&r=m08h1LB4xTRpZ--zkkI8I-DkXd8lEnKSZ0W5EF4_0B4&m=KtjqCXrbnGMr_NVKpB3ox4Y1F-YaRrTKe_nz0MADJz4&s=WWZtr1R0rvpPBrBlBjytaVXMKTVpPNA9fpmMINZ-jGM&e=