Uable to read Excel files

IsOct
hi,

I an new to Octave, trying to load excel data. It is showing me the
following error
>> pkg load io
>> A = xlsread ('test.xls')
error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined near line 119 column 21
error: called from
    getxlsinterfaces at line 119 column 19
    xlsopen at line 262 column 17
    xlsread at line 233 column 11

Re: Uable to read Excel files

PhilipNienhuis
IsOct wrote

> hi,
>
> I an new to Octave, trying to load excel data. It is showing me the
> following error
>>> pkg load io
>>> A = xlsread ('test.xls')
> error: '__chk_java_sprt__' undefined near line 119 column 21
> error: called from
>     getxlsinterfaces at line 119 column 19
>     xlsopen at line 262 column 17
>     xlsread at line 233 column 11

__chk_java_sprt__.m is a "private" (~hidden) function and sometimes Octave
can't find private functions anymore when someone has fiddled around in the
private function files subdir.
In such a case "clear -f" sometimes helps, but restarting Octave should work
more reliably.

Could also be a borked io package installation.
Reinstalling Octave should fix that.

Philip