Uicontrol not displaying anything

felixt
Dear all,

 I installed Octave 3.6.2 on both Windows XP and Linux 64 and I am trying to port an application from Matlab, making use of some uicontrols.

 I see that the uicontrol function is provided in Octave 3.6.2, at least when the graphics toolkit FLTK is in use (and it is an error to use it with the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).

 The problem, however, is that the uicontrol function returns a valid handler, but no pushbutton is visible on the figure. Setting and getting the properties of the returned handler works well, except that the figure is completely clean, no uicontrol appears no matter the properties (it seems).

 I posted a question on StackOverflow, too: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11658345/uicontrol-on-octave-3-6-2/11666665

 But now, I am short of solutions. Did someone else encountered the same problem? Is there a known workaround? Do I make an obvious mistake?

Thank you very much!

Felix

Re: Uicontrol not displaying anything

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2
On 26 July 2012 06:07, felixt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I see that the uicontrol function is provided in Octave 3.6.2, at least
> when the graphics toolkit FLTK is in use (and it is an error to use it with
> the Gnuplot graphics toolkit).

From NEWS (type news to read this):

    The uiXXX functions above are experimental.

    Except for uiwait and uiresume, the uiXXX functions are not
    supported with the FLTK+OpenGL graphics toolkit.

They were implemented for QtHandles, mostly.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.

Re: Uicontrol not displaying anything

felixt
<quote author="Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso-2">

They were implemented for QtHandles, mostly.

Hey,

 Thank you very much! I missed that! And how do I install QtHandles? Do uicontrol and waitfor work properly with QtHandles? Can someone confirm this?

Thank you.

Re: Uicontrol not displaying anything

Michael Goffioul
On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM, felixt <[hidden email]> wrote:

They were implemented for QtHandles, mostly.

Hey,

 Thank you very much! I missed that! And how do I install QtHandles?

You compile it from sources [1]. Note that it's included in the VS2010 version of octave-3.6.2

Do uicontrol and waitfor work properly with QtHandles? Can someone confirm
this?

They work. Whether they work *properly* is subjective ;)
Seriously, they're functional, but they probably do not cover all the scenarios you've ever dreamed of.

Michael.

Re: Uicontrol not displaying anything

felixt

Re: Uicontrol not displaying anything

felixt
My experience insofar:

1. QtHandles is only available in the binary compiled with Visual Studio, but unaivailable in the binary compiled with GCC. I think that could be arranged through recompilation, the maintainer might consider that.

2. There are several bugs in Octave 3.6.2-VS-QtHandles that I ended using:
 2.1: available_graphics_toolkits does not report the "qt" toolkit as being available, although the command graphics_toolkit correctly recognizes it
 2.2: QtHandles does seems to not correctly report the current mouse coordinates for the root object and for the current axes (for example inside the "buttondownfcn" callback - the reported coordinates are always stuck to zero). All the while, the current mouse coordinates are correctly reported for figure objects, and that requires a bit of mathematics to translate those coordinates in axes data coordinates, in order to obtain a ginput function similar to Matlab.
 2.3 The giput function is available for the gnuplot and fltk graphics toolkits, but not for the "qt" (QtHandles) graphics toolkits.

Those are my experiences insofar.

Thank you.