Upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 Octave default 32bit or 64bit bit indexing mode:

RT

Upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 Octave default 32bit or 64bit bit indexing mode:

RT

In the upcoming release of Ubuntu 20.04 will Octave be 32bit or 64bit. If 32bit do we still have to recompile from scratch or has a switch been enabled for running in 64bit?

https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.2/Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing.html

Thanks

Re: Upcoming Ubuntu 20.04 Octave default 32bit or 64bit bit indexing mode:

siko1056
On 4/11/20 8:46 PM, RT wrote:

> In the upcoming release of Ubuntu 20.04 will Octave be 32bit or 64bit.
> If 32bit do we still have to recompile from scratch or has a switch been
> enabled for running in 64bit?
>
> https://octave.org/doc/v4.2.2/Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing.html
>
> Thanks

A newer version of the documentation might answer your questions [1].
Octave's default index type is a 64-bit integer for a 64-bit machine.
You can easily create big matrices in your memory.  But Octave's default
Fortran index type for library calls (BLAS, LAPACK, SuiteSparse, ...)
might remain a 32-bit integer, due to the fact how those Fortran
libraries are distributed these days.  This limits the actions you can
perform on those huge matrices you can create in Octave.

HTH,
Kai

[1]
https://octave.org/doc/v5.2.0/Compiling-Octave-with-64_002dbit-Indexing.html