Updated: octave-2.1.71-2

James R. Phillips-3
INFO
====
The cygwin octave package has been updated to release 2.1.71-2.

Changes:

 +Rebuilt to link against fftw3 libraries, for faster fft operations.
 +Links with --enable-auto-image-base flag to reduce need for rebasing dlls.
 +Fixed packaging error related to /usr/share/info/dir

More information in the octave-2.1.71.README file.

GNU Octave is a (mostly Matlab (R) compatible) high-level language, primarily
intended for numerical computations.  It provides a convenient command-line
interface for solving linear and nonlinear problems numerically.

Octave Home Page: http://www.octave.org

UPDATE
======

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on the
http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your system.  Save it
and run setup, answer the questions and pick up 'octave' from the 'Math'
category. Then click on the 'skip' field next to 'octave' until '2.1.71-2' is
displayed.

DOWNLOAD:
=========
Note that downloads from sources.redhat.com (aka cygwin.com) aren't allowed due
to bandwidth limitations.  This means that you will need to find a mirror which
has this update, please choose the one nearest to you:

http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html

QUESTIONS:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

MAINTAINER
==========
James R. Phillips

RE: Updated: octave-2.1.71-2

Paul Billings
James,

Good job on the FFTW packaging.  I can confirm identical FFT speeds with a
version that I had explicitly built to work with FFTW.

On the down side, however: matrix operations are slower.  Almost 70% slower
for the 256x256 matrix multiply I just tested.
octave_config_info('BLAS_LIBS') returns a blank string, whereas the previous
build had returned "-llapack -lblas".  I didn't build these libraries, so
they must be coming from Cygwin.  Perhaps they should be added to the
dependency tree for octave?

Incidentally, your long-term goal of getting ATLAS into the
build/installation procedure will be well worth it.  The matrix multiply
when using the above mentioned libblas is almost a factor of 10 slower than
when using ATLAS.

Paul

RE: Updated: octave-2.1.71-2

Paul Billings
I apologize, I was completely in error.  I mixed up which screen I was
looking at.  The octave-2.1.71-2 build you just put out was fast for matrix
ops as well.  The octave_config_info reflects both FFTW and lapack/blas
libs.

So sorry for the bad report!

Paul