Using Matlab toolboxes in Octave

Hans Olav Husum
Currently I use Matlab 4.2c under MS Windows. I have had a brief look at
Octave 2.02 under linux: it seems to be very similar. Is it technically
possible to use Matlab toolboxes (Optimization and Statistics) under
Octave? Are there any licensing issues that prevents me from doing this
if it is technically feasible?

Hope someone can help me out here!

Hans Olav

Re: Using Matlab toolboxes in Octave

SANDS-3
Hans Olav Husum wrote:

> Currently I use Matlab 4.2c under MS Windows. I have had a brief look at
> Octave 2.02 under linux: it seems to be very similar. Is it technically
> possible to use Matlab toolboxes (Optimization and Statistics) under
> Octave?

Ummmm... probably not "right out of the box". You'll probably need
to hack the toolboxes up a bit. I've run into some rather strange,
arcane, features of MATLAB which are exploited in the toolboxes. The
conventions adopted by Mathworks regarding indexing into null matrices
are a constant source of frustration and perplexity among the octave
developers (there's really only one octave developer), users and
maintainers. You might consider getting older versions of the toolboxes
as they don't seem to be quite as MATLAB-specific as those in 4.2.

>Are there any licensing issues that prevents me from doing this
> if it is technically feasible?

I don't belive so. If you've got a legal copy of the toolboxes then
I don't think that Mathworks has, yet, tried to restrict the use of
these toolboxes outside MATLAB. I'm not a lawyer so I don't really
know but it  seems to me that they would have a hard time telling
you that you MUST use MATLAB to execute the toolboxes. However, they
might restrict the use in other ways. For example, they might insist
that you not execute a toolbox in Octave and MATLAB at the same time
or that you not execute a MATLAB toolbox in multiple Octave processes.

> Hope someone can help me out here!
>
> Hans Olav

Note that there are "octave versions" of many of the functions found
in the toolboxes. These "octave toolboxes" are not a complete as the
MATLAB versions however they're close.

Try http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave/oct_arch.html
Scott Sands

Using Matlab toolboxes in Octave

John W. Eaton-6
On 17-Feb-1997, Hans Olav Husum <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Currently I use Matlab 4.2c under MS Windows. I have had a brief look at
| Octave 2.02 under linux: it seems to be very similar. Is it technically
| possible to use Matlab toolboxes (Optimization and Statistics) under
| Octave? Are there any licensing issues that prevents me from doing this
| if it is technically feasible?

I've never tried to do this myself, so I have no idea whether or not
it will work.

As for the question of licensing, why ask here?  It seems to me you
should be asking the MathWorks if you want to know how they might
interpret their license agreements.

jwe