Using system

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using system

Clarke thompson-gay
Hi, 
My name is Clarke and I've recently installed Octave 5.2 for a calculus class and I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I've watched videos, but every time I put in a command an  error message follows, ex: f=x^2 or limit(f,2) for limits. I'm not sure what to do. I also tried to install the symbolic package but it's not working. I don't really know what to do, I've never used this system before.
Thanks,
Clarke 


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using system

Andreas Weber-6
Am 30.07.20 um 19:17 schrieb Clarke thompson-gay:
> ...but every time I put in a command an  error message follows, ex: f=x^2
> or limit(f,2) for limits. I'm not sure what to do...

Hi Clarke,
https://secure.phabricator.com/book/phabflavor/article/please_please_please/

-- Andy


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using system

nrjank
Administrator
In reply to this post by Clarke thompson-gay
> My name is Clarke and I've recently installed Octave 5.2 for a calculus class and I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I've watched videos, but every time I put in a command an  error message follows, ex: f=x^2 or limit(f,2) for limits. I'm not sure what to do. I also tried to install the symbolic package but it's not working. I don't really know what to do, I've never used this system before.

ok, thanks for reaching out.  lets see if we can help.

first, we can't see what's on your screen, so any time you ask about
inputs or an error, copy and paste right from the command window into
an email so we can see the exact message.  that way we're not
guessing.

do you want/need to be working with the symbolic package in octave?
are you using Windows?  the symbolic package normally relies on
Python, and needs you to have python and other packages installed, but
the package manager made a special bundle for windows where you just
have to download and install one thing in Octave.

Please see the 'Option 1' directions here:
https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-Windows-installation

after you get symbolic working, let us know what other help you need.
 note that the procedures for solving symbolic and not symbolic
(numeric) problems are very different, so be sure that any directions
you follow are appropriate for what you're trying to do.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using system

Nicklas Karlsson
In reply to this post by Clarke thompson-gay
> Hi,
> My name is Clarke and I've recently installed Octave 5.2 for a calculus
> class and I can't seem to figure out how to use it. I've watched videos,
> but every time I put in a command an  error message follows, ex: f=x^2 or
> limit(f,2) for limits. I'm not sure what to do. I also tried to install the
> symbolic package but it's not working. I don't really know what to do, I've
> never used this system before.
> Thanks,
> Clarke

Octave is for numerical calculations. You store numbers in variables as matrices, a single value is also ok then it is a scalar. Then you use mathematical operations on the variables numerical computations on the values in the variables are done.

variables f and x does not exist and at least in my Octave install there is no limit(...) function.


Nicklas Karlsson


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using system

nrjank
Administrator
In reply to this post by nrjank
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM Clarke thompson-gay
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Thank you for answering my email. Here is what I get whenever I put any commands in.
>
> >> x= sym('x')
> warning: the 'sym' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave Forge
> which seems to not be installed in your system.
>
> Please read <https://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
> contribute missing functionality.
> error: 'sym' undefined near line 1 column 4
> >> f= x^2
> error: 'x' undefined near line 1 column 4
> >> limit(f,2)
> error: 'f' undefined near line 1 column 7
>
> I clicked the link and followed directions on how to get the symbolic package but still had no luck. I installed this system on my macbook pro. I did try the windows version on here too but it didn't work because I have a macbook I'm guessing.
> -Clarke
>

ok, very important you Reply All and keep the help list copied.  I
personally know nothing about macs.  I wouldn't expect the windows
version to be much help either.    I notice that there's nothing
equivalent to the windows instructions on that wiki
(https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-macOS-installation)
I've cc'd the list so hopefully someone else can help.

Also, the convention on this mailing list is to 'bottom post' and trim
any excess quoting to make it easier for others to follow the
conversation. (On gmail you need to click the 'three dots' to reveal
the quoted text).  see http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using system

Clarke thompson-gay
O ok thank you I wasn't aware of that my bad.
-Clarke 

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:42 AM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:35 AM Clarke thompson-gay
<[hidden email]> wrote:

 Thank you for answering my email. Here is what I get whenever I put any commands in.
> >> x= sym('x')
> warning: the 'sym' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave Forge
> which seems to not be installed in your system.
> Please read <https://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
> contribute missing functionality.
> error: 'sym' undefined near line 1 column 4
> >> f= x^2
> error: 'x' undefined near line 1 column 4
> >> limit(f,2)
> error: 'f' undefined near line 1 column 7
 I clicked the link and followed directions on how to get the symbolic package but still had no luck. I installed this system on my macbook pro. I did try the windows version on here too but it didn't work because I have a macbook I'm guessing.
 -Clarke


ok, very important you Reply All and keep the help list copied.  I
personally know nothing about macs.  I wouldn't expect the windows
version to be much help either.    I notice that there's nothing
equivalent to the windows instructions on that wiki
(https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-macOS-installation)
I've cc'd the list so hopefully someone else can help.

Also, the convention on this mailing list is to 'bottom post' and trim
any excess quoting to make it easier for others to follow the
conversation. (On gmail you need to click the 'three dots' to reveal
the quoted text).  see http://www.idallen.com/topposting.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Symbolic toolbox on Mac?

nrjank
Administrator
>>  Thank you for answering my email. Here is what I get whenever I put any commands in.
>> > >> x= sym('x')
>> > warning: the 'sym' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave Forge
>> > which seems to not be installed in your system.
>> > Please read <https://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
>> > contribute missing functionality.
>> > error: 'sym' undefined near line 1 column 4
>> > >> f= x^2
>> > error: 'x' undefined near line 1 column 4
>> > >> limit(f,2)
>> > error: 'f' undefined near line 1 column 7
>>  I clicked the link and followed directions on how to get the symbolic package but still had no luck. I installed this system on my macbook pro. I did try the windows version on here too but it didn't work because I have a macbook I'm guessing.
>>  -Clarke
>>
>>
>> ok, very important you Reply All and keep the help list copied.  I
>> personally know nothing about macs.  I wouldn't expect the windows
>> version to be much help either.    I notice that there's nothing
>> equivalent to the windows instructions on that wiki
>> (https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-macOS-installation)
>> I've cc'd the list so hopefully someone else can help.

sorry for the extra message, but replying with a more specific subject
line so others on the help list with Mac experience might see it and
chime in if they can help.

nickj


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Symbolic toolbox on Mac?

Clarke thompson-gay
Thank you! I didnt even think about that.
-Clarke 

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:55 AM Nicholas Jankowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>  Thank you for answering my email. Here is what I get whenever I put any commands in.
>> > >> x= sym('x')
>> > warning: the 'sym' function belongs to the symbolic package from Octave Forge
>> > which seems to not be installed in your system.
>> > Please read <https://www.octave.org/missing.html> to learn how you can
>> > contribute missing functionality.
>> > error: 'sym' undefined near line 1 column 4
>> > >> f= x^2
>> > error: 'x' undefined near line 1 column 4
>> > >> limit(f,2)
>> > error: 'f' undefined near line 1 column 7
>>  I clicked the link and followed directions on how to get the symbolic package but still had no luck. I installed this system on my macbook pro. I did try the windows version on here too but it didn't work because I have a macbook I'm guessing.
>>  -Clarke
>>
>>
>> ok, very important you Reply All and keep the help list copied.  I
>> personally know nothing about macs.  I wouldn't expect the windows
>> version to be much help either.    I notice that there's nothing
>> equivalent to the windows instructions on that wiki
>> (https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy/wiki/Notes-on-macOS-installation)
>> I've cc'd the list so hopefully someone else can help.

sorry for the extra message, but replying with a more specific subject
line so others on the help list with Mac experience might see it and
chime in if they can help.

nickj