Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

Santiago Serebrinsky

Hi all,

I mean to get completion of variable names, function names, function argument names, and keywords in Octave, similarly as in Eclipse CDT, e.g. This works in the Command window, but not in the Editor, where there is only keyword and function name completion.

Can this be done? How?



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

PhilipNienhuis
Santiago Serebrinsky wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I mean to get completion of variable names, function names, function
> argument names, and keywords in Octave, similarly as in Eclipse CDT, e.g.
> This works in the Command window, but not in the Editor, where there is
> only keyword and function name completion.
>
> *Can this be done? How?*

Sure it can be done.
In the main GUI:  Edit | Preferences ... , Editor tab.
Then in the section Auto completion (you may need to scroll down) you can
set it all as you wish.

Philip




--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

Santiago Serebrinsky
Hi Philip,
I see there only options for matching
  Keywords
  Words in document
  Octave builtins
  Octave functions
But no Variable names or Function arguments.
Am I missing something?






On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Santiago Serebrinsky wrote
> Hi all,
>
> I mean to get completion of variable names, function names, function
> argument names, and keywords in Octave, similarly as in Eclipse CDT, e.g.
> This works in the Command window, but not in the Editor, where there is
> only keyword and function name completion.
>
> *Can this be done? How?*

Sure it can be done.
In the main GUI:  Edit | Preferences ... , Editor tab.
Then in the section Auto completion (you may need to scroll down) you can
set it all as you wish.

Philip




--
Sent from: http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

Torsten Lilge
On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 21:31 -0300, Santiago Serebrinsky wrote:
> Hi Philip,
> I see there only options for matching
>   Keywords
>   Words in document
>   Octave builtins
>   Octave functions
> But no Variable names or Function arguments.
> Am I missing something?
>

Variable names are covered by the option "Words in Documents".

Torsten


>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 3:33 PM PhilipNienhuis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Santiago Serebrinsky wrote
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I mean to get completion of variable names, function names,
> > function
> > > argument names, and keywords in Octave, similarly as in Eclipse
> > CDT, e.g.
> > > This works in the Command window, but not in the Editor, where
> > there is
> > > only keyword and function name completion.
> > >
> > > *Can this be done? How?*
> >
> > Sure it can be done.
> > In the main GUI:  Edit | Preferences ... , Editor tab.
> > Then in the section Auto completion (you may need to scroll down)
> > you can
> > set it all as you wish.
> >
> > Philip
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Sent from:
> > http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-General-f1599825.html
> >
> >



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Variable completion in Octave GUI Editor

Andreas Weber-6
In reply to this post by Santiago Serebrinsky
Hi Sanitago, please use bottom or intermediate posting style on this
mailinglist.

Am 12.04.19 um 02:31 schrieb Santiago Serebrinsky:
> Hi Philip,
> I see there only options for matching
>    Keywords
>    Words in document
>    Octave builtins
>    Octave functions
> But no Variable names or Function arguments.
> Am I missing something?

I just tried it with Octave 5.0.91. If I type

foobar = 123;
x = 20 + fo

now a little menu window shows up listing "foobar" which I can use
hitting Enter/Return

https://josoansi.de/Bildschirmfoto_gui.png

-- Andy