Very slow plotting of large data sets under Windows

Very slow plotting of large data sets under Windows

sglow2000
Hi All;

I'm running Octave 2.1.50 under Windows 2000 and have noticed that
plotting any large set of data points takes a very long time (minutes).
The problem seems to be that the data is written to an ASCII text file,
and then gnuplot reads the data points from this file for plotting.
This works fine for small data sets, but when working with large sets
(say 1,000,000 points) the overhead of writing all this to disk is
rather extreem.

Is there any easy work around for this problem (other then not using
large data sets that is)?  At a minimum it seems like the data could be
saved in binary format which would save the conversion time
(binary->ASCII->binary) and compress the file size by a factor of about 3:1.

Does the linux version of Octave suffer from the same problem?

Are there any better graphics programs that work with Octave and are
available under Windows?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve

Very slow plotting of large data sets under Windows

John W. Eaton-6
On 18-Aug-2003, Stephen Glow <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Is there any easy work around for this problem (other then not using
| large data sets that is)?  At a minimum it seems like the data could be
| saved in binary format which would save the conversion time
| (binary->ASCII->binary) and compress the file size by a factor of about 3:1.

This might be a nice change to have, but does gnuplot support binary
data files?

Re: Very slow plotting of large data sets under Windows

Dmitri A. Sergatskov-2
John W. Eaton wrote:

> This might be a nice change to have, but does gnuplot support binary
> data files?

It does for 3d plotting (splot). Perhaps we can bug gnuplot developers
for adding binary option for 2d plotting as well.

> jwe

Dmitri.