Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

samantp
This post was updated on .
<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373668/Screenshot_from_2020-03-03_16-58-01.png>
I feel a little silly asking this but I'm new to Octave. I'm running it on
linux and it seems to have installed just fine, but when I enter 'octave'
into the terminal Octave doesn't launch, it just starts running in the
terminal. How do I get it to open the Gui instea? (I have attached a
screenshot of my issue). This is a recent issue that only started after i
ubgraded my ubuntu to 19.10.

Another issue is when I force octave to open via the gui, I notice that several of the icons (save, new file, etc.) are not appearing correctly (screenshot attached)

Thanks

Re: Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

samantp
Another thing, when I open the octave via GUI, several of the icons are not
appearing correctly (screenshot attached)
<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373668/Screenshot_from_2020-03-03_17-06-29.png>

Re: Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

Mike Miller-4
On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:01:18 -0600, samantp wrote:
> I feel a little silly asking this but I'm new to Octave. I'm running it on
> linux and it seems to have installed just fine, but when I enter 'octave'
> into the terminal Octave doesn't launch, it just starts running in the
> terminal. How do I get it to open the Gui instea? (I have attached a
> screenshot of my issue). This is a recent issue that only started after i
> ubgraded my ubuntu to 19.10.

If you run 'octave --help', you'll see that the '--gui' option is used
to start the graphical interface.

Refer to the release notes for version 4.4 and you'll see that this
change was announced:

    The octave command no longer starts the GUI by default.  Most users
    starting Octave from a shell were expecting the command line
    interface, and desktop launchers already required the `--force-gui'
    option.  With this change, desktop launchers should be modified to
    use the new option `--gui'.  The previous `--force-gui' option will
    continue to work, and maps to `--gui', but it will be removed in
    Octave 6.

(from https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/NEWS-4.4.html)

Cheers,

Re: Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

Thomas D. Dean-2
On 2020-03-03 09:01, samantp wrote:
> <https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373668/Screenshot_from_2020-03-03_16-58-01.png>
> I feel a little silly asking this but I'm new to Octave. I'm running it on
> linux and it seems to have installed just fine, but when I enter 'octave'
> into the terminal Octave doesn't launch, it just starts running in the
> terminal. How do I get it to open the Gui instea? (I have attached a
> screenshot of my issue). This is a recent issue that only started after i
> ubgraded my ubuntu to 19.10.

How did you install octave?

Try `octave --gui`

Tom Dean

Re: Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

Petr Mikulik
> If you run 'octave --help', you'll see that the '--gui' option is used
> to start the graphical interface.
>
> Refer to the release notes for version 4.4 and you'll see that this
> change was announced:

Prior to 4.4, there were two executables, "octave" (GUI) and "octave-cli"
(CLI).

After 4.4, there are two executables, "octave" (CLI) and "octave-cli" (CLI).
I wonder why there is no "octave-gui" executable or why linking "octave" to
"octave-gui" does not start GUI (instead of writing much longer "octave
--gui" unless you have an alias).

What is the advatange of "octave-cli" if it starts in CLI as "octave" does?

---
Petr Mikulik

Re: Why does octave keep opening in the terminal?

marco atzeri-2
Am 04.03.2020 um 14:07 schrieb Petr Mikulik:

>> If you run 'octave --help', you'll see that the '--gui' option is used
>> to start the graphical interface.
>>
>> Refer to the release notes for version 4.4 and you'll see that this
>> change was announced:
>
> Prior to 4.4, there were two executables, "octave" (GUI) and "octave-cli"
> (CLI).
>
> After 4.4, there are two executables, "octave" (CLI) and "octave-cli" (CLI).
> I wonder why there is no "octave-gui" executable or why linking "octave" to
> "octave-gui" does not start GUI (instead of writing much longer "octave
> --gui" unless you have an alias).
>
> What is the advatange of "octave-cli" if it starts in CLI as "octave" does?
>
> ---
> Petr Mikulik

it is lighter, at least on my build:

$ octave-cli --quiet
octave:2>  available_graphics_toolkits ()
ans =
{
   [1,1] = fltk
   [1,2] = gnuplot
}

$ octave --quiet
octave:1>  available_graphics_toolkits ()
ans =
{
   [1,1] = fltk
   [1,2] = gnuplot