Why editor freeze

Michel STCHAKOVSKY

Dear,

I’m a complete beginner with octave and work from home without support these days for the reasons you can understand.

My problem is  : my command window gets often frozen when I enter a simple declaration such as b=[5;6;7]. It’s illustrated in the following image where you’ll see my octave version number, running under W10.

Really sorry to bother about such a simple thing like that, but I see no other solution than relaunch the GUI when it happens.

Thanks in advance and take care

Michel STCHAKOVSKY, Ph.D.

HORIBA Scientific

Application and Service Engineer

HORIBA FRANCE SAS

14, Boulevard Thomas Gobert

Passage Jobin Yvon

CS 45002 - 91120 Palaiseau - France
Tel.
+33 (0)1 69 74 72 00 - Ext. 2027
Fax +33 (0)1 69 31 32 20

[hidden email]

http://www.horiba.com/scientific/

Cet e-mail et tous les fichiers joints sont confidentiels et destinés exclusivement à l'usage des personnes ou entités auxquelles ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu cet e-mail par erreur, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur et le supprimer.
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individuals or entities to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Afin de contribuer au respect de l'environnement, merci de n'imprimer cet e-mail qu'en cas de nécessité. | Please consider the impact on the environment before printing this e-mail.

Re: Why editor freeze

nrjank
Administrator
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:08 AM Michel STCHAKOVSKY <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear,

I’m a complete beginner with octave and work from home without support these days for the reasons you can understand.

My problem is  : my command window gets often frozen when I enter a simple declaration such as b=[5;6;7]. It’s illustrated in the following image where you’ll see my octave version number, running under W10.

Is this a new problem? Did octave ever work correctly on your system before and this started?  Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling octave? are you using the .exe installer or one of the zip archive packages?

(please remember to Reply All and comment at the bottom of the replies, not the top)

Re: Why editor freeze

Ian McCallion
On Tuesday, 14 April 2020, Michel STCHAKOVSKY <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear,

I’m a complete beginner with octave and work from home without support these days for the reasons you can understand.

My problem is  : my command window gets often frozen when I enter a simple declaration such as b=[5;6;7]. It’s illustrated in the following image where you’ll see my octave version number, running under W10.

This might be a codepage problem. I had  similar problem when pasting text from another application into octave. The text looked ok in the octave window but octave froze and needed to be restarted, yet typing the same (looking) text directly worked.

Cheers... Ian