Win95 binary??

Andrew Smith-18
Does anyone have a working Win95 Octave binary they would be willing to
share?

I tried compiling the sources but failed.

Thanks
Andrew Smith

Re: Win95 binary??

Dirk Eddelbuettel

  Andrew>  Does anyone have a working Win95 Octave binary they would be
  Andrew> willing to share?

I presume most people use the one that is provided on Octave's ftp site.

--
mailto:[hidden email]              According to the latest official figures,
http://rosebud.ml.org/~edd      43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: Win95/NT binary??

johan19
On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 02:45:17PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>   Andrew>  Does anyone have a working Win95 Octave binary they would be
>   Andrew> willing to share?
>
> I presume most people use the one that is provided on Octave's ftp site.

has anyone gotten them to work?

i am using octave-2.0.11 on windows nt[1].  i can't get .12 or .13 to
work using the pre-compiled binaries.  both fail in the same way.  i
get a seg fault and octave goes into core dump mode and dies a
horrible death.  has anyone had success with .12 and .13 on nt?  did
you need to do anything special?

i am using the cygwin32b19 stuff from cygnus with their newer
cygwin32.dll (b19 revision 1).  i also have egcs 1.0.2 from mumit
khan's site.

[1] for the record, i despise nt.

--
Johan Kullstam [[hidden email]] Don't Fear the Penguin!

Re: Win95/NT binary??

Dirk Eddelbuettel

  Andrew> Does anyone have a working Win95 Octave binary they would be
  Andrew> willing to share?

  Dirk> I presume most people use the one that is provided on Octave's ftp
  Dirk> site.

  Johan> has anyone gotten them to work?

Yes, 2.0.13 "works mostly" [1] for me using the indicated cygwin b19 set,
installed as per the README, and the precompiled Octave binaries. NT is 4.0
with service pack 3, installed by the IT folks at work.

[1] octave dies core every now and then with some 'heap size blabla' message
showing that NT has a lot do in order to grow up. Same jobs run just fine
under SunOS or Linux.

--
mailto:[hidden email]              According to the latest official figures,
http://rosebud.ml.org/~edd      43% of all statistics are totally worthless.

Re: Win95/NT binary??

Andrew Smith-18
Well, you got farther than I did.

I followed all of the instructions in the readmes, but when I got to the
"install" portion I got a million errors and no results. It looked to me
like it was trying to compile the thing; I guess I gave up at that
point.

My problem may have been related to the fact the 100+meg of stuff
wouldn't fit on one hard drive, so I had the cygnus stuff on C: and the
octave stuff on D:. Still, it didn't seem like executable files to me.

Thanks
Andrew Smith

[hidden email] wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 16, 1998 at 02:45:17PM -0400, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> >
> >   Andrew>  Does anyone have a working Win95 Octave binary they would be
> >   Andrew> willing to share?
> >
> > I presume most people use the one that is provided on Octave's ftp site.
>
> has anyone gotten them to work?
>
> i am using octave-2.0.11 on windows nt[1].  i can't get .12 or .13 to
> work using the pre-compiled binaries.  both fail in the same way.  i
> get a seg fault and octave goes into core dump mode and dies a
> horrible death.  has anyone had success with .12 and .13 on nt?  did
> you need to do anything special?
>
> i am using the cygwin32b19 stuff from cygnus with their newer
> cygwin32.dll (b19 revision 1).  i also have egcs 1.0.2 from mumit
> khan's site.
>
> [1] for the record, i despise nt.
>
> --
> Johan Kullstam [[hidden email]] Don't Fear the Penguin!

Re: Win95/NT binary??

John W. Eaton-6
On 16-Aug-1998, Andrew Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Well, you got farther than I did.
|
| I followed all of the instructions in the readmes, but when I got to the
| "install" portion I got a million errors and no results. It looked to me
| like it was trying to compile the thing; I guess I gave up at that
| point.
|
| My problem may have been related to the fact the 100+meg of stuff
| wouldn't fit on one hard drive, so I had the cygnus stuff on C: and the
| octave stuff on D:. Still, it didn't seem like executable files to me.

If you send the exact text of the error messages that you saw when you
tried to install Octave, perhaps someone could help you.  Without more
information, all we can do is guess what the problem is and we would
probably just waste a lot of time making incorrect guesses.

All I can say is that the procedure described in the README file
worked for me the last time I tried it, and there is evidence that it
has also worked for other people too.

I agree that Octave does not work as well as it could under Windows NT/95.
There are several possibilities for improving the situation.  Someone
could step forward and volunteer to maintain the Windows NT/95 port of
Octave, or someone could provide funding for me to do the work (I am
not a Windows NT/95 expert, nor do I have the desire to become one
just for fun).

RE: Win95/NT binary??

Lance McBride
I don't know if it makes any difference, but I've been running Octave on NT
for some time.  I'm running Octave v2.0.12 via Cygwin32 b19.  I never had
any problems on the install except that I had to install everything on C:.

I've also been using the modified gnuplot for plots.

Hope that helps.
--
Lance McBride
Electrical Engineer