Windows uninstall now reboots system?

I've been doing some testing of the Windows binaries and have noticed
that the uninstaller now prompts for a reboot.  I don't recall this
happening previously.

Is that a change we made, a change due to upgrading to a new version of
NSIS, or something Windows is doing to us?

Is it really necessary to reboot after uninstalling Octave on Windows?

Re: Windows uninstall now reboots system?

nrjank
> Is it really necessary to reboot after uninstalling Octave on Windows?

I almost exclusively use the zip package, but I can't think of
anything Octave should be using that would warrant a reboot. It isn't
suspending the uninstall over the reboot and completed actions
afterward (as if a file was in use by the system, etc.), is it?  If
not, I've noticed a number of windows programs that do this by default
for no good reason other than 'just in case'.  too many bad windows
examples of things 'lingering' that I guess it has just become habit
to make up for bad design.

RE: Windows uninstall now reboots system?

John Donoghue-3
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 09:52:50 -0500
> From: "John W. Eaton" <[hidden email]>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Windows uninstall now reboots system?
>
> I've been doing some testing of the Windows binaries and have noticed
> that the uninstaller now prompts for a reboot.  I don't recall this
> happening previously.
>
> Is that a change we made, a change due to upgrading to a new version of
> NSIS, or something Windows is doing to us?
>
> Is it really necessary to reboot after uninstalling Octave on Windows?
>
> jwe

I see the reboot question, but never do it -and I believe it only happens If
you installed and havent done a reboot sometime between then and the
uninstall.

Its occurring because the msys2 part of the install registering of the
environment (vash --login) starts gpg-agent, and since its still running it
cant uninstall that file - hence the message on rebooting - I believe we can
disable that reboot option, however the files will still be there.

RE: Windows uninstall now reboots system?

John Donoghue-3

See tools/makeinst-script.sh, line 526:

; didnt remove directory ? most likely from not all files removed
 IfErrors 0 uninstall_done
    MessageBox MB_YESNO "One or more folders were not uninstalled because
they contain extra files. Try to delete them?" /SD IDYES IDNO uninstall_done
    RMDir /r "\$INSTDIR"

    IfErrors 0 uninstall_done
        MessageBox MB_YESNO "One of more files were still not uninstalled.
Do you want to delete them on the next reboot?" /SD IDYES IDNO
uninstall_done
        RMDir /r /REBOOTOK "\$INSTDIR"
uninstall_done:

On 1/15/19 11:26 AM, JohnD wrote:

> I see the reboot question, but never do it -and I believe it only happens If
> you installed and havent done a reboot sometime between then and the
> uninstall.
>
> Its occurring because the msys2 part of the install registering of the
> environment (vash --login) starts gpg-agent, and since its still running it
> cant uninstall that file - hence the message on rebooting - I believe we can
> disable that reboot option, however the files will still be there.

Thanks for the info.  I don't think it is necessary to disable it.  Not
that people would necessarily read it, but could we display more info
about why the reboot is (eventually) needed?

RE: Windows uninstall now reboots system?

PhilipNienhuis
John Donoghue-3 wrote
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 09:52:50 -0500
>> From: "John W. Eaton" &lt;

> jwe@

> &gt;
>> To: Octave Maintainers List &lt;

> octave-maintainers@

> &gt;
>> Subject: Windows uninstall now reboots system?

> bd7889e6-2e91-0f8c-1b34-0b40ce086273@

> &gt;
>>
>> I've been doing some testing of the Windows binaries and have noticed
>> that the uninstaller now prompts for a reboot.  I don't recall this
>> happening previously.
>>
>> Is that a change we made, a change due to upgrading to a new version of
>> NSIS, or something Windows is doing to us?
>>
>> Is it really necessary to reboot after uninstalling Octave on Windows?
>>
>> jwe
>>

> I see the reboot question, but never do it -and I believe it only happens
> If
> you installed and havent done a reboot sometime between then and the
> uninstall.
>
> Its occurring because the msys2 part of the install registering of the
> environment (vash --login) starts gpg-agent, and since its still running
> it
> cant uninstall that file - hence the message on rebooting - I believe we
> can
> disable that reboot option, however the files will still be there.

While doing some sort of "bisecting" for bug #55407 I saw the following in
Windows 7:
(* I needed to install Octave as "Administrator" as I installed "for all
users". Just a pop-up requesting to enter the Administrator password just
like on *nix)
* In the end the uninstaller asks to remove some files upon next reboot - I
clicked "No" each time
* Then, in the explorer (file browser) I could simply delete the remnants of
Octave's installation directory as a normal user.

In conclusion, after uninstalling there's nothing holding the remaining
files locked, it seems as if it's just the uninstaller process that cannot
jump through its own hoops.
I didn't check if the "remove on next reboot" option really works.

Philip