Zooming in subplots is very slow

GoSim
I have 4 subplots and 10000 points in every plot and zooming is very slow, I
post a gif. I am pressing the mouse and it takes many seconds before the
zoom rectangle appears. My computer is new, I just found it strange and post
it here. When zooming in normal plots with 5000 points everything is fast,
see the gif.
Maybe I am expecting too much and this should be slow, maybe it can be
optimized...just trying to help.

<https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/t373066/Peek_2019-11-20_19-36.gif>

Re: Zooming in subplots is very slow

GoSim
what takes time is for the zoom rectangle to appear, when it has appeared it
is OK.

Re: Zooming in subplots is very slow

nrjank
> what takes time is for the zoom rectangle to appear, when it has appeared it
> is OK.

ok, so just to be clear: you're seeing a lot of lag in drawing the
Zoom rectangle, but the actual zoom operation happens at an acceptable
speed.

there may be something specific to how Octave does the screen redraw,
or how it redraws in the presence of a high data-point graph, that
could use some optimization

which graphics toolkit are you using?
>> graphics_toolkit

does the slow performance occur in all toolkits?  maybe repeat the
operation with each of

>> graphics_toolkit('qt')
>> graphics_toolkit('fltk')
>> graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')

and see if you get the same behavior.

Re: Zooming in subplots is very slow

GoSim
toolkit is qt

as seen in the gif, it takes long time for the zoom rectangle to appear,
when it has appeared changing size and then releasing the button and doing
the zoom is ok.
there is some lag in changing the size but it is acceptable. i don't think
the lag is there for normal plot though