always start without gui

Peter P.-2
Hi List,

Please excuse me if this has being asked already, I didn't find an
answer in the standard docs so far.
How can I disable the gui permanently, for example via my ~/.octaverc
file? I know there is a command line option --no-gui, but I would like
to avoid having to use another bash alias for that, and think it should
be possible to specify in a user's config file.
Oh, by the way, the GUI looks great and many people will profit greatly
from it!

Thank you!

Re: always start without gui

Mike Miller-4
On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:37:08 -0400, Peter P. wrote:
> Please excuse me if this has being asked already, I didn't find an
> answer in the standard docs so far.
> How can I disable the gui permanently, for example via my ~/.octaverc
> file? I know there is a command line option --no-gui, but I would like
> to avoid having to use another bash alias for that, and think it should
> be possible to specify in a user's config file.

I think a shell alias is the best solution for now. The only thing the
Octave program does before starting the GUI are check if you have a
graphical display and check for a few select command-line arguments,
such as --silent and --no-gui.

Your choices are either

  alias octave="octave --no-gui"
  alias octave=octave-cli

or you could train yourself to run octave-cli instead of octave.

Re: always start without gui

Michael Creel
One option is to compile it yourself, disabling the GUI (./configure --disable-gui). That has the advantage that it will be faster, too, as I understand it. I looked for some references regarding this point, just now, but didn't find any.

Re: always start without gui

Peter P.-2
* Michael Creel <[hidden email]> [2015-08-02 15:05]:
> One option is to compile it yourself, disabling the GUI (./configure
> --disable-gui). That has the advantage that it will be faster, too, as I
> understand it. I looked for some references regarding this point, just now,
> but didn't find any.

Thank you Michael, I will go for the bash alias for now and will see how
much slower the startup feels. Perhaps one day someone has an easy and
quick way to compare both versions for startup speed one day.

cheers, P

Re: always start without gui

Peter P.-2
* Mike Miller <[hidden email]> [2015-08-01 14:07]:

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:37:08 -0400, Peter P. wrote:
> > Please excuse me if this has being asked already, I didn't find an
> > answer in the standard docs so far.
> > How can I disable the gui permanently, for example via my ~/.octaverc
> > file? I know there is a command line option --no-gui, but I would like
> > to avoid having to use another bash alias for that, and think it should
> > be possible to specify in a user's config file.
>
> I think a shell alias is the best solution for now. The only thing the
> Octave program does before starting the GUI are check if you have a
> graphical display and check for a few select command-line arguments,
> such as --silent and --no-gui.
>
> Your choices are either
>
>   alias octave="octave --no-gui"
>   alias octave=octave-cli
>
> or you could train yourself to run octave-cli instead of octave.

Thank you as well Mike! I went for
alias octave="octave --no-hui -q"

Have a great week!

Re: always start without gui

Peter P.-2
* Peter P. <[hidden email]> [2015-08-02 20:56]:

> * Mike Miller <[hidden email]> [2015-08-01 14:07]:
> > On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 19:37:08 -0400, Peter P. wrote:
> > > Please excuse me if this has being asked already, I didn't find an
> > > answer in the standard docs so far.
> > > How can I disable the gui permanently, for example via my ~/.octaverc
> > > file? I know there is a command line option --no-gui, but I would like
> > > to avoid having to use another bash alias for that, and think it should
> > > be possible to specify in a user's config file.
> >
> > I think a shell alias is the best solution for now. The only thing the
> > Octave program does before starting the GUI are check if you have a
> > graphical display and check for a few select command-line arguments,
> > such as --silent and --no-gui.
> >
> > Your choices are either
> >
> >   alias octave="octave --no-gui"
> >   alias octave=octave-cli
> >
> > or you could train yourself to run octave-cli instead of octave.
>
> Thank you as well Mike! I went for
> alias octave="octave --no-hui -q"
ahm, should have had been --no-gui, sorry.