cd command

Octave - General mailing list
Dear Octave,

I am a complete begineer with Octave. I want to change directory in Octave to a directory on my PC that, in Windows Explorer, that is shown in the address line of Windows Explorer as:

Dieser PC > Dokumente > Steve

I have tried all sorts of combininations (e.g. cd Dieser PC>Dokumente>Steve, cd Dieser PC\Dokumente\Steve; cd C:\Dokumente\Steve, etc.) all of which return error messages.

Is anyone please able to let me know what the correct cd command is to get Octave to work with files in this directory?

Many thanks, in advance, and best regards,
Steve Callander

Re: cd command

nrjank
Administrator
For some internal folders Windows does not always show the actual folder path. Document folder can sometimes be that way.  Try:

In windows explorer, click at the top where you see

Dieser PC > Dokumente > Steve

The text should change to the actual folder path (beginning with c:\ ...)

You should be able to copy that path, and it octave type cd and then right click and paste the exact path.

Alternatively, in the Octave GUI you can use the folder tree in the upper left to navigate to your folder, and it will have the same effect as the CD command.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021, 10:11 AM sccallander--- via Help-octave <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear Octave,

I am a complete begineer with Octave. I want to change directory in Octave to a directory on my PC that, in Windows Explorer, that is shown in the address line of Windows Explorer as:

Dieser PC > Dokumente > Steve

I have tried all sorts of combininations (e.g. cd Dieser PC>Dokumente>Steve, cd Dieser PC\Dokumente\Steve; cd C:\Dokumente\Steve, etc.) all of which return error messages.

Is anyone please able to let me know what the correct cd command is to get Octave to work with files in this directory?

Many thanks, in advance, and best regards,
Steve Callander

Re: cd command

mmuetzel
Am 06. Februar 2021 um 09:00 Uhr schrieb "sccallander--- via Help-octave":

> Dear Octave,

> I am a complete begineer with Octave. I want to change directory in Octave to a directory on my PC that, in Windows Explorer, that is shown in the address line of Windows Explorer as:

> Dieser PC > Dokumente > Steve

> I have tried all sorts of combininations (e.g. cd Dieser PC>Dokumente>Steve, cd Dieser PC\Dokumente\Steve; cd C:\Dokumente\Steve, etc.) all of which return error messages.

> Is anyone please able to let me know what the correct cd command is to get Octave to work with files in this directory?

> Many thanks, in advance, and best regards,
> Steve Callander

What you are showing aren't "real" paths, but a way Windows chose to organize files to make it "easier" for users to access them.
If you are using Windows 10, one way to find which is the "real" path to your files is:
- Open the folder with Windows Explorer.
- Click into the address bar.

What you'll be seeing is that the address will change from something like "Dieser PC > Steve > Dokumente" to something like "C:\Users\Steve\Documents".
The latter is the "real" path to the files in that folder. User that as an input for `cd` in Octave.
E.g.
>> cd ('C:\Users\Steve\Documents')

HTH
Markus