circle symbol in Octave

Surandokht Nikzad
Hello,

 I have a question regarding symbols in plotting. I wonder about the very basic one, which is circle 'o'.
When I use this for plotting [plot(x,y,'o')], instead of having circle, I get triangle shape with a dot in the middle!

What should I do to solve this tiny/strange problem?

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Re: circle symbol in Octave

Daniel Sebald
On 11/16/2012 01:38 AM, Surandokht Nikzad wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding symbols in plotting. I wonder about the very
> basic one, which is circle 'o'.
> When I use this for plotting [plot(x,y,'o')], instead of having circle,
> I get triangle shape with a dot in the middle!
>
> What should I do to solve this tiny/strange problem?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sue

What platform are you running on?  Linux?  Windows?  OSX?

What version of octave are you using (at the octave prompt type version)?

What version of gnuplot are you using (type "gnuplot --version" at a
command line)?

Dan

Re: circle symbol in Octave

Surandokht Nikzad
The platform is Mac OS X version 10.6.8
The version of octave is 3.4.0
The version of gnuplot is version 4.2.5

On 12-11-16 8:45 AM, "Daniel J Sebald" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 11/16/2012 01:38 AM, Surandokht Nikzad wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question regarding symbols in plotting. I wonder about the very
>> basic one, which is circle 'o'.
>> When I use this for plotting [plot(x,y,'o')], instead of having circle,
>> I get triangle shape with a dot in the middle!
>>
>> What should I do to solve this tiny/strange problem?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Sue
>
>What platform are you running on?  Linux?  Windows?  OSX?
>
>What version of octave are you using (at the octave prompt type version)?
>
>What version of gnuplot are you using (type "gnuplot --version" at a
>command line)?
>
>Dan

Re: circle symbol in Octave

Daniel Sebald
On 11/16/2012 01:50 AM, Surandokht Nikzad wrote:
> The platform is Mac OS X version 10.6.8
> The version of octave is 3.4.0
> The version of gnuplot is version 4.2.5

Well, those versions go back quite a ways.  You might have to upgrade to
something more recent, like octave 3.5.5 or greater.  (The latest stable
Octave is 3.6.2.)  Along with that, an upgrade in gnuplot would be good
too.  (The latest stable version is 4.6.)

That, or randomly try other symbols and see if you can find the circle.

Dan

--

Dan Sebald
email: daniel(DOT)sebald(AT)ieee(DOT)org

Re: circle symbol in Octave

Surandokht Nikzad
Thanks for the information. I'll try it.

Cheers,
Sue