classdef development

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

classdef development

nul0m
Dear maintainers,

Could you please say me how far you are from having usable (or at least testable) matlab-like class system (classdef)? Is it possible to be involved into testing process?

The thing is that I'm about to rewrite some free toolbox which was written for matlab so that it can work under Octave.

Best regards,
Sergey
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: classdef development

Danilo Zanatta
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Серёжа Плотников <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear maintainers,

Could you please say me how far you are from having usable (or at least testable) matlab-like class system (classdef)? Is it possible to be involved into testing process?

The thing is that I'm about to rewrite some free toolbox which was written for matlab so that it can work under Octave.

Best regards,
Sergey

I'm also very interested in having this functionality.

I could also help in the testing process.

Regards,
Danilo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: classdef development

Richard Crozier-3
On 17/12/2012 13:07, Danilo Zanatta wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Серёжа Плотников
> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear maintainers,
>
>     Could you please say me how far you are from having usable (or at
>     least testable) matlab-like class system (classdef)? Is it possible
>     to be involved into testing process?
>
>     The thing is that I'm about to rewrite some free toolbox which was
>     written for matlab so that it can work under Octave.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Sergey
>
>
> I'm also very interested in having this functionality.
>
> I could also help in the testing process.
>
> Regards,
> Danilo

I am not one of the core developers, and I am not working on classdef,
but I have gathered some info on this.

classdef is (AFAIK) far from completion and is a large task that
requires excellent C++, a deep knowledge of the Octave interpreter and
interpreters in general, and considerable time to develop (see
http://wiki.octave.org/Summer_of_Code_Project_Ideas#Implement_classdef_classes).
The classdef syntax has been created, i.e. the interpreter can recognise
it, but it is not actually attached to anything.

It doesn't help that Matlab does not have a language spec as such.

If anyone has means to provide money for the development time, it will
happen a lot faster (this is how the old-style classes got implemented I
think), but otherwise will take some time.

Richard




--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: classdef development

Carnë Draug-2
On 17 December 2012 14:23, Richard Crozier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The classdef syntax has been created, i.e. the interpreter can recognise it,
> but it is not actually attached to anything.

I believe there's more work tdone than this. But one needs to look
into the classdef branch of the repository. Still, the last report I
remember reading on the mailing list said "classdef is very far away
and will not be released any time soon. It's a horribly complex
monster, and we will need lots more geekpower to get it working. "

> If anyone has means to provide money for the development time, it will
> happen a lot faster (this is how the old-style classes got implemented I
> think), but otherwise will take some time.

Patches would also be welcome and make it happen faster.

Carnë