datacursor for Octave 5.2.0(Windows)

dev1990
Hi team,
 Is there any update on the datacursor in latest octave version? I have
tried a patch for octave 4.2.1 found in forum, but no luck. Datacursor
addition in main release rather than patch would be a huge addition for
people like me.

Thanks

Re: datacursor for Octave 5.2.0(Windows)

mmuetzel
Am 23. April 2020 um 10:46 Uhr schrieb "dev1990":
> Hi team,
>  Is there any update on the datacursor in latest octave version? I have
> tried a patch for octave 4.2.1 found in forum, but no luck. Datacursor
> addition in main release rather than patch would be a huge addition for
> people like me.

I am not sure which patch you are referring to.

A quick Google search led me to this thread on the mailing list some time ago:
https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Data-cursor-in-Octave-td4681801.html
The last version of "datacursor.m" sent by roland65 on Feb 21, 2017 works for me with Octave 4.2.2 and Octave 5.2.0.

Which graphics toolkit are you using?

Markus

Am 23. April 2020 um 11:34 Uhr schrieb "Debajyoti Datta":
> I am using qt toolkit.

>  I have copied the .m files in C:\Octave\Octave-5.2.0\ ....is this  the correct location ?? Tried closing octave and opening again also.

> Thanks.

Please, keep the mailing list in CC.

It should be working with the "qt" graphics toolkit.

Any function you want to execute must either be in the current working directory or in Octave's search path. See the documentation of "path" and "addpath".
AFAIK, the Octave installation root path is not in Octave's default search path (and I'd advice against adding that specific path).

HTH,
Markus

Re: datacursor for Octave 5.2.0(Windows)

dev1990
Hi Markus,

 I have tried with adding the datacursor patch folder in current working directory and also in the default directory(which shows up with value=pathdef() command) . No luck so far. I would requst you to be little more specific as I am relatively new to programming.

Thanks

Am 23. April 2020 um 18:56 Uhr schrieb "Debajyoti Datta":

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 4:31 PM "Markus Mützel" wrote:
> > Am 23. April 2020 um 11:34 Uhr schrieb "Debajyoti Datta":
> > > I am using qt toolkit.
> > >
> > >  I have copied the .m files in C:\Octave\Octave-5.2.0\ ....is this  the correct location ?? Tried closing octave and opening again also.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Please, keep the mailing list in CC.
> >
> > It should be working with the "qt" graphics toolkit.
> >
> > Any function you want to execute must either be in the current working directory or in Octave's search path. See the documentation of "path" and "addpath".
> > AFAIK, the Octave installation root path is not in Octave's default search path (and I'd advice against adding that specific path).
>
> Hi Markus,
>
>  I have tried with adding the datacursor patch folder in current working directory and also in the default directory(which shows up with value=pathdef() command) . No luck so far. I would requst you to be little more specific as I am relatively new to programming.
>
> Thanks

I still don't know what you mean by "datacursor patch folder". The one I found is just one single .m file...

The current working directory is the directory that is displayed in the top toolbar in the Octave GUI. It is also returned if you execute "pwd" at the Octave "Command Window". You could move the function you want to execute to that directory.
Alternatively, you could add the path where the function is stored to Octave's search path. Assuming the file is stored in the folder "C:\My_Octave_Files", execute the following at the Octave "Command Window":
addpath ('C:\My_Octave_Files')

After that, call the function like any other. E.g.:
plot(1:10);
datacursor()

HTH,
Markus

Re: datacursor for Octave 5.2.0(Windows)

dev1990
Hi Markus,

 By datacursor patch folder I was referring to the v3 folder in this link below

Somehow things are working now.I have placed the above mentioned folder in working directory. After creating any plot, I have to open and run from the folder _datacursor_menu_.m program. After that only data menu appears in the figure and I can select point whose coordinates are to be displayed.

Thanks for your help.