developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

12

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
Hello both Juan Pablo Carbajal and Carlo Defalco for responding to
my emails.

>You said you are a student, you could consider proposing this as a GSoC project [3,4]?

> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.

>Most projects proposed for Octave (exept maybe those related to the GUI)
>do require a good mathematical background, but to produce useful results
>you should have (or be willing to acquire) some non trivial software
>engineering / development / collaboration skills.

Google of Summer Code Projects was recommended to me previously. I
would be very interested in working with a team of developers over the
summer to work on Octave's projects. But I would like to have a
meeting with a developer to test me if I am even qualified to under
take a team development project, which was my main concern in the
previous emails.

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am still fighting with gmail trying to get the emails typed in the
> correct format. If anyone can suggest methods, please send them to me.
> Thank you both Juan Pablo Carbajal and Carlo Defalco for responding to
> my emails.
>
>> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
>> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
>> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
>> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.
>
>>Most projects proposed for Octave (exept maybe those related to the GUI)
>>do require a good mathematical background, but to produce useful results
>>you should have (or be willing to acquire) some non trivial software
>>engineering / development / collaboration skills.
>
> Let me take a step back to reconstitute my beginnings. That statement
> I made posted above was not well posed, which is my fault. I am very
> interested in contributing to Octave, I am very interested in applying
> my knowledge of mathematics and physics, and I am willing to learn the
> required computer architecture programming material to make it happen.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Juan Pablo Carbajal-2
On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Google of Summer Code Projects was recommended to me previously. I
> would be very interested in working with a team of developers over the
> summer to work on Octave's projects. But I would like to have a
> meeting with a developer to test me if I am even qualified to under
> take a team development project, which was my main concern in the
> previous emails.

I guess a way of proving yourself able is to send some code (mfile or
C++) using Octave, with the corresponding tests, so we cna try it out
and check the quality. You can upload your code to agora.octave.org

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

c.-2

On 12 Feb 2014, at 16:22, Juan Pablo Carbajal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Google of Summer Code Projects was recommended to me previously. I
>> would be very interested in working with a team of developers over the
>> summer to work on Octave's projects. But I would like to have a
>> meeting with a developer to test me if I am even qualified to under
>> take a team development project, which was my main concern in the
>> previous emails.
>
> I guess a way of proving yourself able is to send some code (mfile or
> C++) using Octave, with the corresponding tests, so we cna try it out
> and check the quality. You can upload your code to agora.octave.org

Another possiibility that will also allow you to get an idea of the tools
you would have to be working with if working with Octave, is that you try
to download the default branch of Octave (which is the branch that includes
classdef) and compile it, then write a simple example using classdef.

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
>I guess a way of proving yourself able is to send some code (mfile or
C++) using Octave, with the corresponding tests, so we cna try it out
and check the quality. You can upload your code to agora.octave.org

I just posted some code today in stackexchange solving a slightly
unrelated problem to the delaunay triangles class:
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21662873/how-to-order-a-list-of-delaunay-triangles-to-a-ordered-percolation-list-in-octav/21814794#21814794>

This sample code I provided is a quick demo of what I can do in c++
and using dynamically linking functions to octave. I am pressed for
time at the moment and I did not get a chance to fully comment all of
the code, however I did provide a brief explanation of how to use the
function and how to generate a test for the function. I would
appreciate some tips on how to professionally comment code to give
easier readability for others in the future. I do not believe this
function should be posted in  agora.octave.org, because it is not
related to solving implementation problems from Matlab to Octave,
because I do not think this function exists in Matlab? However, if
anyone deems it worth, I would be willing to post it. I am still
reading through the literature on the "msh" package to see how I can
run it on Octave to calculate neighbors more efficiently then what I
have designed.

>Another possiibility that will also allow you to get an idea of the tools
you would have to be working with if working with Octave, is that you try
to download the default branch of Octave (which is the branch that includes
classdef) and compile it, then write a simple example using classdef.

I took a moment to briefly read through the installation process of
the classdef package, and I was hesitant to install it, because the
installation instructions suggested I had to install a cloned copy of
Octave alongside the original. I was worried if I attempted this
procedure I would overwrite Octave with another version and corrupt
files in the process. However, I am still reading through the
literature.

I am having trouble keeping up with my course work this semester, so I
will most likely be unable to yield fruitful results this semester,
however I should have free time when summer starts. My future is
uncertain at the moment, because I was just accepted into graduate
school to study High Energy Physics at the University of Connecticut.

On 16 Feb 2014, at 18:50, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I do not believe this
> function should be posted in  agora.octave.org, because it is not
> related to solving implementation problems from Matlab to Octave,

Hi,

One of the functionalities of Agora is to allow posting code "snippets"
which can be chosen to exist for a limited time only.

That is used when we want to show some code we want to discuss before
it is ready for commiting to OctaveForge or Octave.

So, in principle, Agora would be exactly the right tool to use for this.

Unfortunately I am not sure whether Agora works at the moment, though ...

c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
>So, in principle, Agora would be exactly the right tool to use for this.

I posted my code into agora. The link is: http://agora.octave.org/snippet/VYPd/

I was unable to format the tabbing correctly to 2 spaces width and
post my comments of the code into the forum, due to a formatting
error. Comments are posted on:

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 18:50, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I do not believe this
>> function should be posted in  agora.octave.org, because it is not
>> related to solving implementation problems from Matlab to Octave,
>
> Hi,
>
> One of the functionalities of Agora is to allow posting code "snippets"
> which can be chosen to exist for a limited time only.
>
> That is used when we want to show some code we want to discuss before
> it is ready for commiting to OctaveForge or Octave.
>
> So, in principle, Agora would be exactly the right tool to use for this.
>
> Unfortunately I am not sure whether Agora works at the moment, though ...
>
> c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
>I was unable to format the tabbing correctly to 2 spaces width and
post my comments of the code into the forum, due to a formatting
error. Comments are posted on:

This was the error I received when attempting to comment on the code:

IntegrityError at /comments/post/

insert or update on table "django_comments" violates foreign key
constraint "django_comments_site_id_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (site_id)=(1) is not present in table "django_site".

On 16 Feb 2014, at 19:47, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I posted my code into agora. The link is: http://agora.octave.org/snippet/VYPd/
>
> I was unable to format the tabbing correctly to 2 spaces width and
> post my comments of the code into the forum, due to a formatting
> error. Comments are posted on:

I cannot comment much on the implemented algorithm as I don't wnow much of "ordered percolated lists",
So I will just provide a few quick comments about coding style (but );

1) I posted a reformatted version of your function:
   http://agora.octave.org/snippet/twOQ/

   following more closely Octave's formatting style conventions:
   http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/C_002b_002b-Sources.html#C_002b_002b-Sources
   http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Writing-C.html#Writing-C

2) notice the use of the macro "print_usage" to output the docstring in case input is incorrect instead of "error"

3) you should also use "error_state" to check whether the type of the input parameters was correct.

4) the conventio is to return an empty octave_value_list object if input validation fails,
   not to copy he input into the output.

5) you should provide at least a demo and a few tests to validate your code:
   http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Test-and-Demo-Functions.html#Test-and-Demo-Functions

In general it is also dangerous to use recursive functions, so you should avoid it if possible,
but as I don't know much about the algorithm maybe this is correct in your case.

HTH,
c.

Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

Linux User
>I cannot comment much on the implemented algorithm as I don't wnow much of "ordered percolated lists",
So I will just provide a few quick comments about coding style (but );

Thank you for using my code to demonstrate proper format. I added more
information in the text description of the code.:

http://agora.octave.org/snippet/TxBp/

I still cannot post comments. When I have a moment I will start
writing the neighbors function for testing the dlf_percolate function.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 2:20 PM, c. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2014, at 19:47, Linux User <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I posted my code into agora. The link is: http://agora.octave.org/snippet/VYPd/
>>
>> I was unable to format the tabbing correctly to 2 spaces width and
>> post my comments of the code into the forum, due to a formatting
>> error. Comments are posted on:
>
> I cannot comment much on the implemented algorithm as I don't wnow much of "ordered percolated lists",
> So I will just provide a few quick comments about coding style (but );
>
> 1) I posted a reformatted version of your function:
>    http://agora.octave.org/snippet/twOQ/
>
>    following more closely Octave's formatting style conventions:
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/C_002b_002b-Sources.html#C_002b_002b-Sources
>    http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Writing-C.html#Writing-C
>
> 2) notice the use of the macro "print_usage" to output the docstring in case input is incorrect instead of "error"
>
> 3) you should also use "error_state" to check whether the type of the input parameters was correct.
>
> 4) the conventio is to return an empty octave_value_list object if input validation fails,
>    not to copy he input into the output.
>
> 5) you should provide at least a demo and a few tests to validate your code:
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Test-and-Demo-Functions.html#Test-and-Demo-Functions
>
> In general it is also dangerous to use recursive functions, so you should avoid it if possible,
> but as I don't know much about the algorithm maybe this is correct in your case.
>
> HTH,
> c.

12