display:not defined for class "double"

Loris
Hello,

I found that octave display function cannot show the most of the data type.
As example:

octave:13> display 'pluto';
error: display: not defined for class "char"
error: called from:
error:   C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at line 37, column 5
octave:13> display (10)
error: display: not defined for class "double"
error: called from:
error:   C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at line 37, column 5

the same in matlab behave "correctly".
>> display 'pluto'
pluto
>> display (10)

ans =

    10

Since I used display to print results in terminal window, I masked the function, changing call for display in call to disp().

Question is.. is it a bug or an expected behaviour?
Are there plans to fix it or make it behave like matlab in future?

Thanks, Loris.

Re: display:not defined for class "double"

bpabbott
Administrator
On Oct 24, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Loris wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found that octave display function cannot show the most of the data type.
> As example:
>
> /octave:13> display 'pluto';
> error: display: not defined for class "char"
> error: called from:
> error:
> C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at
> line 37, column 5
> octave:13> display (10)
> error: display: not defined for class "double"
> error: called from:
> error:
> C:\Octave\Octave3.4.2_gcc4.5.2\share\octave\3.4.2\m\general\display.m at
> line 37, column 5
> /
>
> the same in matlab behave "correctly".
> />> display 'pluto'
> pluto
>>> display (10)
>
> ans =
>
>    10/
>
> Since I used display to print results in terminal window, I masked the
> function, changing call for display in call to disp().
>
> Question is.. is it a bug or an expected behaviour?
> Are there plans to fix it or make it behave like matlab in future?
>
> Thanks, Loris.

Looks like a bug! If you'd like, please file a report.

        https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=octave

By filing the report, you'll get email updates as this is worked on. If you'd rather not, please let me/us know and someone else can file the report.

Ben

Re: display:not defined for class "double"

Loris

I posted the bug report. Thanks :)