error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

PurpleCrumpets
Hi all,

As the title suggests, I am having issues with the glpk package. I'm very
new to Octave so I apologise in advance if I say something that is obviously
completely stupid. As a bit of background, I am running Octave 4.2.1 on the
computer cluster at work. Part way though the simulation I am running, I get
the following error message:

Creating Kriging models...

Kriging model is stk_materncov_aniso (default)

with linear trend.

error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or
disabled when Octave was built

error: called from

glpk at line 600 column 27

qp at line 380 column 27

sqp at line 412 column 27

stk_minimize_boxconstrained at line 53 column 12

stk_param_estim at line 156 column 21

createKrigingModels at line 134 column 41

DEcalioc at line 162 column 17

Firstly, if glpk is disbled, how can it read to line 600 of glpk?

If it is disabled, is this something I can download (like a normal package
off of source forge for example) or will I likely need the cluster admin to
add an up to date Octave module to the cluster that doesn't have glpk
disabled?

Finally, I assume under a normal installation of Octave, glpk is also
installed such that this error wouldn't occur?

Thanks in advance!

Tim

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

jbect
Le 08/08/2019 à 16:26, PurpleCrumpets a écrit :
> Hi all,

H Tim,

> As the title suggests, I am having issues with the glpk package. I'm very
> new to Octave so I apologise in advance if I say something that is obviously
> completely stupid. As a bit of background, I am running Octave 4.2.1 on the
> computer cluster at work. Part way though the simulation I am running, I get
> the following error message:
>

> Creating Kriging models...
>
> Kriging model is stk_materncov_aniso (default)
>
> with linear trend.
>
> error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or
> disabled when Octave was built
>
> error: called from
>
> glpk at line 600 column 27
>
> qp at line 380 column 27
>
> sqp at line 412 column 27
>
> stk_minimize_boxconstrained at line 53 column 12
>
> stk_param_estim at line 156 column 21
>
> createKrigingModels at line 134 column 41
>
> DEcalioc at line 162 column 17
>

> Firstly, if glpk is disbled, how can it read to line 600 of glpk?

This is line 600 of glpk.m, which is an Octave function that wraps the
actual call to the GLPK library.

glpm.m is always present, even when Octave was built without the GLPK
library.

> If it is disabled, is this something I can download (like a normal package
> off of source forge for example) or will I likely need the cluster admin to
> add an up to date Octave module to the cluster that doesn't have glpk
> disabled?

No I don't think you can simply "add" GLPK.   If your version of Octave
was built without it, it won't work.

What you need is both the GLPK library AND a version of Octave that was
built with GLPK support enabled.

> Finally, I assume under a normal installation of Octave, glpk is also
> installed such that this error wouldn't occur?

Yes, it usually is.  Do you know which particular OS is used on the
cluster ?

@++
Julien

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

PurpleCrumpets
Hi Julian,

Thanks for your response!

> This is line 600 of glpk.m, which is an Octave function that wraps the
> actual call to the GLPK library.
>
> glpm.m is always present, even when Octave was built without the GLPK
> library.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the glpk.m function.

> > If it is disabled, is this something I can download (like a normal package
> > off of source forge for example) or will I likely need the cluster admin to
> > add an up to date Octave module to the cluster that doesn't have glpk
> > disabled?
>
> No I don't think you can simply "add" GLPK.   If your version of Octave
> was built without it, it won't work.
>
> What you need is both the GLPK library AND a version of Octave that was
> built with GLPK support enabled.

For future reference, is there any reason why I would want to build
Octave without this support enabled?

> > Finally, I assume under a normal installation of Octave, glpk is also
> > installed such that this error wouldn't occur?
>
> Yes, it usually is.  Do you know which particular OS is used on the
> cluster ?

The current OS is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Trusty Tahr. There is the option
to run the command: 'do-release-upgrade' to update to 16.04.6 LTS,
Xenial Xerus. As a result of my 'wonderful' experience updating to new
Windows versions on my own personal computer I have been hesitant to
do the same on the cluster.

Many thanks,

Tim

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

isak.davids

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 09:39, Tim Churchfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
The current OS is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Trusty Tahr. There is the option
to run the command: 'do-release-upgrade' to update to 16.04.6 LTS,
Xenial Xerus. As a result of my 'wonderful' experience updating to new
Windows versions on my own personal computer I have been hesitant to
do the same on the cluster

No, upgrading the OS on a cluster of which you are one of the many users should not be the best thing to do. This should be the job of the cluster administrators.

Cheers,
IDD

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

PurpleCrumpets
Hi IDD,

> No, upgrading the OS on a cluster of which you are one of the many users should not be the best thing to do. This should be the job of the cluster administrators.

I apologise for my general ignorance but I've attached a screenshot of
the messages that are presented to me when I connect to the cluster.
Why state that I can upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu in the
start-up message? On a cluster, is it possible to have multiple users,
each running a different OS version?

Many thanks,

Tim

cluster_startup.PNG (32K) Download Attachment

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 09:58, Tim Churchfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
I apologise for my general ignorance but I've attached a screenshot of
the messages that are presented to me when I connect to the cluster.
Why state that I can upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu in the
start-up message? On a cluster, is it possible to have multiple users,
each running a different OS version?

Now I am getting second thoughts about my earlier claim. The few clusters that I have been linked to runs one host OS onto which individuals receive user accounts and some storage space. So you simply get a home directory with your customize desktop behaviour but using the tools installed on the host OS. So that when you need a tool installed, you request the admin to globally install the tool. But other people may know of other ways that other clusters operate, hence my doubt on what I said. For now, to be on the safe side, you can approach your system admin with the issue of the upgrade and take it from there.

Regards,
IDD

--

Cheers,
              IDD

_____________________________________
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

                    Isak Delbert DAVIDS

         *  +264-81-33 049 33 (mobile 1)
         *  +264-85-33 049 33 (mobile 2)

         *  +264-61-206-4823 (office voice)
         *
+264-61-206-3196 (office fax)

   * Preferred email: [hidden email]
   * Alternative email 1: [hidden email]
   * Alternative email 2: [hidden email]
_____________________________________
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

TimotheusNemitz
PurpleCrumpets wrote
> I apologise for my general ignorance but I've attached a screenshot of
> the messages that are presented to me when I connect to the cluster.
> Why state that I can upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu in the
> start-up message?
> cluster_startup.PNG (32K)
> &lt;https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/attachment/4693489/0/cluster_startup.PNG&gt;

You can only run the command and upgrade if you have root privileges on that
machine.
You can check your privileges by the command "id". If your user is in the
"sudo" group, you have root privileges. However I would not recommend to
update before speaking to the admin.
BTW: The OS on that cluster is outdated and not supported anymore.

Le 09/08/2019 à 09:38, Tim Churchfield a écrit :
Yes, it usually is.  Do you know which particular OS is used on the cluster ?
The current OS is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, Trusty Tahr. There is the option
to run the command: 'do-release-upgrade' to update to 16.04.6 LTS,
Xenial Xerus. As a result of my 'wonderful' experience updating to new
Windows versions on my own personal computer I have been hesitant to
do the same on the cluster.

Tim,

Trusty Tahr is a pretty old version of Ubuntu [1].  The "official" version of Octave for Trusty Tahr is 3.8.1 (see [2]).

Since you said initially that you are using Octave 4.2.1, this means that someone, most likely your system administrator, must have installed it "manually" (i.e., not from the official package repositories).

The safest and easiest option would be to upgrade to a more recent release of Ubuntu and then to install Octave from the official repositories.  For instance in Ubuntu bionic 18.04LTS you would get Octave 4.2.2 (see [3]).

Only a system administrator can do that, so you will have to ask your favorite sysadmin if this can be done.

If you are stuck with Trusty Tahr, you will need to build Octave from source.  The recommended way to do so on outdated Linux systems is with MXE-Octave [4].  You can do it yourself and install at user level, or ask a sysadmin to do it for you and install at system level (for all users).

@++
Julien

[1] https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

[2] https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/allpackages#octave

[3] https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=octave&searchon=names&exact=1&suite=all&section=all

[4] https://wiki.octave.org/MXE

Re: error: glpk: support for GNU Linear Programming Kit was unavailable or disabled when Octave was built

PurpleCrumpets
Dear all,

Sorry for the very slow response. I just wanted to say thanks all for
your help and clarification on the matter!

I spoke with the server admin and he recompiled Octave with support
for the GLPK library. Everything now works as expected.

Thanks again,

Tim