error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

Odette.Denis

Hi,

I have Octave GNU 5.1.0 and I’m having some problem to communicate with a serial port.

In the code, I do:

pkg list

pkg load instrument-control

pkg list

which serial

s = serial('COM11', 115200)

On the Command window, I can read a table of packages

Package Name         | Version | Installation directory

In particular,

instrument-control *|   0.3.1 | ...\mingw64\share\octave\packages\instrument-control-0.3.1

'serial' is a function from the file C:\Octave\OCTAVE~1.0\mingw64\lib\octave\packages\instrument-cont

rol-0.3.1\x86_64-w64-mingw32-api-v53\serial.oct

but, after s = serial('COM11', 115200),  I have:

error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

Can you please help with that? What am I missing? Thanks a lot for your support

Regards

Odette

Re: error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

Andreas Weber-6
Am 08.09.19 um 04:29 schrieb [hidden email]:
> but, after /s = serial('COM11', 115200), / I have://
>
> /error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the
> file specified./

Are you sure, that you have COM11?
I know that windoze systems have problems with serial ports > COM9 so I
suggest that you try to renumber it below 10 (system control menu,
propertiers there is a menu to assign another port)

-- Andy

Am 10.09.2019 um 04:25 schrieb [hidden email]:
> Serial ports in windows that are greater than COM9 need the full path name
> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package#Example:_Windows.2C_serial_port_.3ECOM9

Hi Odette, thank you for the reply.
Perhaps it's worth to throw a warning on windoze in this case. Can you
provide a patch?

Thank you, Andy

Re: error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

John Donoghue-3

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 19:19:35 +0200
> From: Andreas Weber <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Cc: Help GNU Octave <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system
> cannot find the file specified.

>> Serial ports in windows that are greater than COM9 need the full path name
>> https://wiki.octave.org/Instrument_control_package#Example:_Windows.2C_serial_port_.3ECOM9
> Hi Odette, thank you for the reply.
> Perhaps it's worth to throw a warning on windoze in this case. Can you
> provide a patch?
>
> Thank you, Andy

The repo code for instrument control was changed in another bug fix to
automatically add the full path in windows, so wouldnt have the issue.

So it will be fixed in the next release.

RE: error: serial: Error opening the interface: The system cannot find the file specified.

Odette.Denis
Hi Andreas,

Full path works fine for lower than COM9. I just tried with s = serial("\\\\.\\COM6");
So the general rule would be to use s = serial("\\\\.\\COMxx");

Thanks.
Regards
Odette