figure command in pre-2.0

Mike Blatchley
I have a need to plot in multiple figures, so I downloaded octave pre-2.0
(specifically version 1.91 i586-unknown-linux).  Also, I grabbed a beta
copy of gnuplot:

        G N U P L O T
        Linux version 3.5 (pre 3.6)
        patchlevel beta 315
        last modified Sun Sep 29 22:10:39 BST 1996

And, gnuplot_has_frames=1.  However, I don't seem to get multiple figures
when I do something like:

  x=1:10;
  plot (x)
  figure (2)
  plot (2*x)

Am I doing something wrong, or does this beta version of gnuplot not
support multiple plot frames?  If not, does anyone know which one will
and where I can get it?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: figure command in pre-2.0

Dutt, Vinayak, Ph.D.

Mike wrote:
#
[...]

Well, you certainly do not need the pre-2.0 release of octave to have multiple
plots. All you need is the beta of 3.6 release of gnuplot. Your gnuplot
version should be able to have multiple plots. I have the same release and
I can get multiple plots with your example. Make sure that the figure command
that you have is ok. All that needs to be issued by the figure command
is a command:

set term x11 <index>

where <index> is the number of display window.

Here's my version of figure command; check if that works:

------------------------- cut here ------------------------------------
function figure (index)

# usage: figure (index)
#
# Chooses a particular X-Window display for the next figure. This
# allows for use of the the gnuplot's X11 terminal object's ability to
# display multiple plot windows.
#
# Window indices start from 0.
#
# See other plotting commands also.

  if (nargin != 1)
    usage ("figure (index)");
  endif

  eval (['set term x11  ' num2str(index) ]);

endfunction

P.S. By the way, I am still using the 1.1.1 version of octave.

Vinayak Dutt

Ultrasound Research
Mayo Clinic
Rochester MN 55905